Old Stock IBM 50 key 1392560

PlacaFromHell

27 Sep 2017, 01:53

Hello guys! It's my first post and I don't speak english very well, but I'll do my best.
I bought mine from here. I don't know if he ship orders or not but I'll leave the page if someone wants to contact him.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/ML ... FromParent

Sorry for my potato camera
I love those keycap tops, maybe I'll do something for my M 122 with these
Also the stickers look so cool
It uses a normal RJ45/PS2 connector
Proud to have a genuine IBM keycap puller
Here it says "In order for you to use this keyboard, you must customize the KBD50.COM keyboard driver. To do this you must execute KBD50CUS.EXE Both on the KBD50.COM and KBD50CUS.EXE files are on the device driver diskette. The device driver diskette and two diagnostic diskettes come with the IBM 47700 Financial 1/0 Hardware Guide.
Permission is hereby granted to use the KBD50CUS.EXE and KBD50.COM with this 50-key keyboard."
I would like to see what I need to do to configure the keys. The original matrix is something like this (is just weird). If someone know how please tell me.

xueyao

27 Sep 2017, 02:27

Great find! I have 1 that I soarer converted. No idea that they could be preprogrammed! Perhaps the programme can be used for model m?

PlacaFromHell

27 Sep 2017, 02:43

xueyao wrote: Great find! I have 1 that I soarer converted. No idea that they could be preprogrammed! Perhaps the programme can be used for model m?
I really don't know how exactly works, just that the original terminal uses a diskette to use the keyboard. I may look if I can use a Soarer to remap.

xueyao

27 Sep 2017, 02:48

PlacaFromHell wrote:
xueyao wrote: Great find! I have 1 that I soarer converted. No idea that they could be preprogrammed! Perhaps the programme can be used for model m?
I really don't know how exactly works, just that the original terminal uses a diskette to use the keyboard. I may look if I can use a Soarer to remap.
You can definitely use soarer to create a macropad, but it'll be really interesting to programme this with the original software using a virtual machine. Could you attach the software included if you could extract it with a floppy reader?

depletedvespene

27 Sep 2017, 02:54

I can't help but wonder HOW exactly it is be done. I *guess* that the driver does not instruct the keyboard itself to change the scan codes it sends, but rather would craft a TSR to be used on to the PC itself (loaded on AUTOEXEC.BAT).

I'd like to see that software in action.

PlacaFromHell

27 Sep 2017, 03:18

xueyao wrote:
PlacaFromHell wrote:
You can definitely use soarer to create a macropad, but it'll be really interesting to programme this with the original software using a virtual machine. Could you attach the software included if you could extract it with a floppy reader?
Unfortunately the diskette comes with the entire terminal as a periferic reader or something like that. I don't really know how to get one, is much more hard here in Argentina. Anyway I'll do my best try.

xueyao

27 Sep 2017, 03:20

depletedvespene wrote:I can't help but wonder HOW exactly it is be done. I *guess* that the driver does not instruct the keyboard itself to change the scan codes it sends, but rather would craft a TSR to be used on to the PC itself (loaded on AUTOEXEC.BAT).

That'll make it one of the first 'remap' software on pc!

PlacaFromHell

27 Sep 2017, 03:39

depletedvespene wrote: I can't help but wonder HOW exactly it is be done. I *guess* that the driver does not instruct the keyboard itself to change the scan codes it sends, but rather would craft a TSR to be used on to the PC itself (loaded on AUTOEXEC.BAT).

It would had more sense. Anyway, is a interesting discover. I don't really know if the other 50 key models work in a modern PC without a Soarer.

xueyao

27 Sep 2017, 05:56

PlacaFromHell wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: I can't help but wonder HOW exactly it is be done. I *guess* that the driver does not instruct the keyboard itself to change the scan codes it sends, but rather would craft a TSR to be used on to the PC itself (loaded on AUTOEXEC.BAT).

It would had more sense. Anyway, is a interesting discover. I don't really know if the other 50 key models work in a modern PC without a Soarer.
I suspect this is one of the only models with a full 50 key layout and full clear caps. Orihalcon sold a few with 49 keys (1 key occupied 2u). Anyways I believe most POS machines ran DOS back in those days so it would make sense that IBM made these boards with ps/2 compatibility just like their M.

depletedvespene

27 Sep 2017, 12:02

xueyao wrote: I suspect this is one of the only models with a full 50 key layout and full clear caps. Orihalcon sold a few with 49 keys (1 key occupied 2u). Anyways I believe most POS machines ran DOS back in those days so it would make sense that IBM made these boards with ps/2 compatibility just like their M.
If these machines were used for the kind of bank I first worked at, we should be surprised that those aren't still in active use, on DOS machines (man, the stories I could tell)!

Anyway, I contacted the seller, and he ships only within Argentina (not that I blame him, actually) or accepts local pickup... something that quite limits his market. Now, if I ever have to travel to Buenos Aires...

xueyao

27 Sep 2017, 12:13

Maybe we could arrange for a group buy and the OP could get it and ship it to us?

andrewjoy

27 Sep 2017, 12:18

DO we have anyone over there ?

depletedvespene

27 Sep 2017, 12:22

andrewjoy wrote: DO we have anyone over there ?
So far, I'm the closest one (I'll ask the seller how many units does he have).

EDIT: he's got TEN of those.

andrewjoy

27 Sep 2017, 16:50

If we manage to sort a GB i would be up for one .

Mainly for the IBM keycap puller :P

depletedvespene

27 Sep 2017, 17:30

andrewjoy wrote: If we manage to sort a GB i would be up for one .

Mainly for the IBM keycap puller :P
Yeah, me too. Only this would be difficult to pull off. Let's start counting:
  1. We need to know if the ten units are actually as shown in the pictures for the one he's got on sale now.
  2. If so, is he willing to sell them all at once (and not jack up the price) for 1000 ARS (~ 57 USD) each?
  3. Delivery within Argentina (unknown S&H cost) or local pick up... I'm the closest one (that we know of) and I'm 1100 km away. The CHEAPEST plane tickets I've managed to find are about 350 USD. A better option would be to have them sent to Mendoza (western Argentina) and have me travel there, by car or bus, to pick 'em up and go back (but this requires me having some acquaintance in Mendoza). But we have to know the shipping cost from BBAA to MEN (EDIT: about 240 ARS [~13.5 USD]).
  4. How big will each box be? Can I fit the ten of them in two suitcases? (for plane or bus travel)
  5. Assuming I manage to get the ten of them for 57+35 +13.5 USD(so far), who will want these keyboards? Shipping a few of them (but not necessarily the ten of them) TO Texas is actually feasible for a negligible price. From then onto elsewhere in the contiguous 48 states is not much of a problem. Deskthoritiers in either Canada, Europe, Asia and elsewhere, on the other hand...
Andrew, just how badly do you want that keycap puller? :mrgreen:

PlacaFromHell

27 Sep 2017, 23:24

Me, I paid 820 AR + 170 AR because of shiping (Like 60 USD). But we have a problem, as depletedvespene said isn't easy sell those things from here to outside. Maybe you can find a service who take care of buy the product and all the shiping problems.

JP!

27 Sep 2017, 23:28

I would be interested in one of these as well.

depletedvespene

27 Sep 2017, 23:45

PlacaFromHell wrote:
Me, I paid 820 AR + 170 AR because of shiping (Like 60 USD). But we have a problem, as depletedvespene said isn't easy sell those things from here to outside. Maybe you can find a service who take care of buy the product and all the shiping problems.
Regular services would jack up the price beyond what would be reasonable (specially for people in the other hemisphere). Heck, I'm barely 1100 km away and I'm trying to think of WHO do I know in Mendoza (so I can do a day trip over there). IF I manage to get my hands on a few units, I can then arrange taking them to Texas, but first we need to solve the Mendoza issue. :?

PlacaFromHell

28 Sep 2017, 01:59

depletedvespene wrote:
PlacaFromHell wrote:
Regular services would jack up the price beyond what would be reasonable (specially for people in the other hemisphere). Heck, I'm barely 1100 km away and I'm trying to think of WHO do I know in Mendoza (so I can do a day trip over there). IF I manage to get my hands on a few units, I can then arrange taking them to Texas, but first we need to solve the Mendoza issue. :?
Guys! I'm talking with he and he has not the necessary document to do international ships. BUT now I'm talking with someone who maybe (just maybe) could do it for him.

Return to “Keyboards”