steelseries quick tension switches (rubber dome)

snarfbot

29 Sep 2017, 02:58

so whatcha think about this steel series rubber dome keyboard?

lol they make it sound so fancy. i think its gonna be like harder to press where your index fingers are, and easier on the pinkies right? they do a very bad job of explaining what it is.

rich1051414

29 Sep 2017, 11:24

If you are talking about the Apex 100, as far as I am aware, it is just another rubber dome keyboard claiming a 'mechanical feel'. I assume the rubber domes are simply stiffer and thicker silicone so they buckle more catastrophically, causing a clacky sound.

Michael Grafl

15 Mar 2020, 23:07

This is my first post in this forum because I stumbled upon this post while searching for some specifics about the Steelseries Quick Tension switch, and I thought maybe someone else is going to stumble upon it as well.

I bought the Apex 100 a few months ago on a whim (hey, it was like 18 Euros or so) mostly out of curiosity and because I was looking for a quiet keyboard with decent feel so I could keep working when one of my children fell asleep in my lap.

With regards to keyboards I am a purist. I have fancy lights on my main keyboard but they're always turned off. I have other secondary keyboards that don't have any lighting features at all. Therefore, I don't care about the lighting features on the Apex 100, but I can tell you that the background lighting is functionally useless. It only illuminates the areas around the key caps, since the key caps have no transparent areas. This results in the letters actually bein harder to read, because you get blinded by the surrounding backlight.

Since I don't care about lights and turn them off, I couldn't care less.

The switches feel very good. There's a tactile bump, and the actuation point is high enough that I don't need to bottom out. The tactile bump isn't as pinpointed as with Cherry MX switches (blue and brown), but I can always be sure that a key has been pressed when I think it has been pressed. There are no problems whatsoever when even larger keys are hit off-center. I measure my typing speed every now and then on typeracer.com and perform perfectly fine with this keyboard.

For 18 Euros, I have to say, if I had to use this as my daily driver for the rest of my life, based only on switch feel, I'd be fine.

The things that bug me about the keyboard are the clacky sound of the space bar, the cheap printing on the key caps, as well as the overall aesthetics and subjective build quality of the board (it's built well, but the cheap printing on the keycaps as well as some wiggle room make it seem cheap to me). But the switches are just fine. The closest I can think of is the Membrane switch based Model M I own. Though the latter feels stiffer and not as nice than the Apex 100.

I've never typed on Topre switches, but I'd love to be able to directly compare the two.

Other than the spacebar, the keys produce no clacky sound, and as far as I can tell they are weighted very evenly. No difference between index finger and pinky, for example.

Return to “Keyboards”