IBM Industrial SSK with Solenoid

Beyond_The_End

29 Oct 2017, 19:44

Hello there,

I've recently got my hands on an IBM Industrial SSK and xWhatsit controller for Model F and Solenoid.
However I haven't purchased a Solenoid yet. Nor do I have any idea whether this is possible.
I saw the other posts but it was really confusing with Beam Spring matrices and stuff.
So is it possible? How do I do it?
What other parts do I need?
Which solenoids are compatible?
Where do I buy them?

S.O.S

wobbled

29 Oct 2017, 20:12

Congrats on getting the sexiest Model M ever made, where did you find it / buy it from?

As for installing a solenoid you'd need a Model F Xwhatsit controller and the solenoid driver board (send a message to orihalcon I think he has these) and a solenoid - your best bet is to get one from a 3178 blue switch model f keyboard or find one that is compatible. Some people here may have one you could buy from them.

Beyond_The_End

29 Oct 2017, 20:25

Last edited by Beyond_The_End on 29 Oct 2017, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

Beyond_The_End

29 Oct 2017, 20:25

wobbled wrote: Congrats on getting the sexiest Model M ever made, where did you find it / buy it from?

As for installing a solenoid you'd need a Model F Xwhatsit controller and the solenoid driver board (send a message to orihalcon I think he has these) and a solenoid - your best bet is to get one from a 3178 blue switch model f keyboard or find one that is compatible. Some people here may have one you could buy from them.
It was sitting on ModelFKeyboards.com

I already bought the controller and the driver, but I can't find any information on compatible solenoids.
Must I really buy an entire beam spring board for the solenoid? :D

wobbled

29 Oct 2017, 20:27

Sangdrax

29 Oct 2017, 23:31

wobbled wrote: https://www.ebay.com/itm/0837L-06C20-6V ... 1967978003

Something like this may work
This definitely works electronically. Only concern is if it physically fits in the case.

orihalcon

30 Oct 2017, 01:01

I believe I was the first to do this mod, not that anyone is keeping track :)

Check my post here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69 ... msg1727558

I do have a couple more original IBM Solenoids if you can't find one otherwise. I think all of the aftermarket ones are too large as the original just barely fit , but luckily does not require any modification to the case.

Elrick

30 Oct 2017, 02:32

orihalcon wrote: I believe I was the first to do this mod, not that anyone is keeping track :)

Check my post here:

I do have a couple more original IBM Solenoids if you can't find one otherwise. I think all of the aftermarket ones are too large as the original just barely fit , but luckily does not require any modification to the case.
You are amazing, you're the type of person who would not accept the normal, mundane Model-M without that special sound that all hardcore keyboard enthusiasts love but are hesitant to ever go there.

I've seen your work in the past and it is noticed everywhere on the web. Those that want their Model-M to give that special sound and feel, have you to thank for pursuing it. You made it work hence you are the head-honcho in this area which is well deserved.

Plus your work is as neat and perfect as it can get, that also helps to inspire others to try your modification.

Beyond_The_End

30 Oct 2017, 07:47

orihalcon wrote: I believe I was the first to do this mod, not that anyone is keeping track :)

Check my post here:

Hi YES, thank you
I couldn't reply you on eBay for some reason, I've already sent you a msg on geekhack.
Yes I need you to throw in a solenoid!
Can you check geekhack?

Beyond_The_End

30 Oct 2017, 07:50

Elrick wrote:

Check my post here:

You are amazing, you're the type of person who would not accept the normal, mundane Model-M without that special sound that all hardcore keyboard enthusiasts love but are hesitant to ever go there.

I've seen your work in the past and it is noticed everywhere on the web. Those that want their Model-M to give that special sound and feel, have you to thank for pursuing it. You made it work hence you are the head-honcho in this area which is well deserved.

Plus your work is as neat and perfect as it can get, that also helps to inspire others to try your modification.

Exactly my thoughts.
Though I must say that it was Chyrosran's videos that made me pull the trigger.
It feels lucky enough that such a mod exists, and even luckier to find that this community is nothing like DotA community. OMG everyone is so nice. :D

Return to “Keyboards”