IBM Model M Sticking Keys

digital_matthew

29 Nov 2017, 18:21

Hello.

I recently purchased an IBM Model M from a recycling center. I gave it a good surface cleaning, but I didn't open it. It's part number1397599 ( a blue logo Lexmark made in 1994). I'm using it on my computer via a Sabrent brand active PS/2 to USB converter. Most of the time it works great, and I think it's awesome (how I got by on cheap rubber domes I'll never know), but sometimes a key "sticks" (not physically, but it will chatter like crazy then stop after one keypress). Do other people have this problem? Will I need to open it up and do a screw mod? Will I need new springs? Any advice would be appreciated because I love this keyboard and I got it for a steal. I've attached an image of the text to further illustrate what I'm talking about. I was typing "work" and I accidentally hit the 5 key. Thanks!
Attachments
model_m_error.JPG
model_m_error.JPG (9.81 KiB) Viewed 3148 times

andrewjoy

29 Nov 2017, 18:25

Is it always the same keys or different ones ?

If its always the same ones you could give them a quick blast with compressed air and re-seat the keycap.

If its always random it could be the converter , some of them may silly buggers with the model M .

Myoth

29 Nov 2017, 18:40

you should check out the backplate, some rivets may be broken and leading to this issue. If it itsn't that, then I don't know what it can be really, but yeah a screw mod is really helpful, though it is time-consuming.

digital_matthew

29 Nov 2017, 18:46

Thank you for the replies. It happens to different keys, and always unexpected. It may be the converter. It is active, but it was the cheapest one I could find (yeah I'm a cheapskate). It will also happen if I mash the keys like this: a;edtiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieirhptkgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I'm a 60 WPM typist, so I find it hard to believe that I'm overwhelming this keyboard despite its 2 key rollover.

__red__

29 Nov 2017, 22:37

This is more than likely due to not receiving the key-up message. I'm assuming that when you start getting repeats pressing any other key stops it?

Personally, I'd suspect the adapter, then the board electronics.

You're not maxing the rollover ;-)

digital_matthew

29 Nov 2017, 22:53

Thanks, __red__. I think the adapter I bought was described as active, but maybe it isn't. I ordered a new one from Clicky Keyboards, and that's definitely active, so it should work. It does stop when I press another key, so that further corroborates that theory. We'll see!

__red__

30 Nov 2017, 03:28

It very well may have been active, but not all adapters are made equal.

The 'M' eats current and over my 20+ years of using them I've thrown away many of the cheap ones. The only 'cube' I had to throw away was due to... ahem, 'mechanical stress'.

They're worth it, bullet-proof electronically.
(not bulletproof physically)

andrewjoy

30 Nov 2017, 11:42

Yes , always go blue cube . The lindy one also is ok but bluecube is unmatched !

unxmaal

01 Dec 2017, 22:47

I would swap the adapter first. Orihalcon's Soarers Controllers (on eBay) are really worth the money, and he ships pretty quick. It will give you full programmability, too, including macros and function layers.

Also, check the plate for broken rivets. You could have a flipper that is out of alignment, due to lack of tension from missing rivet.

digital_matthew

02 Dec 2017, 20:41

UPDATE! I just got my blue cube from Clickykeys and now my Model M runs like a champ. I can now mash the keys with the best of them. See?

ad;aj;lfjds;asfjkdl;aroupafjo;gasj

And no chatter occurs. Thanks, everyone! This is a really helpful forum. :)

Return to “Keyboards”