3D modeling for double shot keycaps

Gilgam

13 Jan 2012, 17:26

I knew anfd i have seen many of these 3D printng machine, but some are really affordable (like that one iin two colors, shown at the CES).
It use abs and the finish is very good.
Do you think it'll be possible to make some doubleshot style keycaps ?

I was considering buying one for other purposes, then the idea came out of my keyboards oriented mind :mrgreen:

harrison

13 Jan 2012, 17:46

the makerbot isn't ideal for printing keycaps, it'd really be a waste of it's abilities. the point behind 2 extruders is so that you be print a soluble material along with the ABS that can be removed after printing to allow the creation of complex items.

it's possible to do, but the resolution on prints is still too low for a keycap, and the amount of cleanup/detail work required post-print just doesn't make sense. it would make far more sense to use cnc to mill your keycaps that it does to extrude them.

trax

13 Jan 2012, 18:04

Wouldn't be possible to print like, 1color clickclack keys?

harrison

13 Jan 2012, 18:05

again, it's a resolution/cleanup issue. if it's one-color, casting really is the way to go, which is was clickclack does.

ripster

13 Jan 2012, 22:09

Need to get access to real equipment.

GE calls this a "Micro" printer.

GE Engine parts. Note: they don't trust the technology enough for stuff that could cause the engine to fail.
About 20,000 parts made by laser sintering are already flying in military and commercial aircraft made by Boeing, including 32 different components for its 787 Dreamliner planes, according to Terry Wohlers, a manufacturing consultant who specializes in additive processes
http://www.technologyreview.com/article ... mod=MagOur
Last edited by ripster on 05 Feb 2012, 17:13, edited 4 times in total.

Gilgam

14 Jan 2012, 18:07

harrison wrote:again, it's a resolution/cleanup issue. if it's one-color, casting really is the way to go, which is was clickclack does.
You must be right as you seem to know much than me but on the pictures they do have nice objects with some polish needed, but not so much.
Some experimental extruder tools are very thin like 1 mm.

It has to become thinner indeed before getting a perfect tool :-)

harrison

15 Jan 2012, 05:39

Gilgam wrote:
harrison wrote:again, it's a resolution/cleanup issue. if it's one-color, casting really is the way to go, which is was clickclack does.
You must be right as you seem to know much than me but on the pictures they do have nice objects with some polish needed, but not so much.
Some experimental extruder tools are very thin like 1 mm.

It has to become thinner indeed before getting a perfect tool :-)
i've been following the makerbot progress over the past year, and it's come a HUGE distance in the past year. i would assume that come next year, being able to print your own keycaps would be a reality, but right now... it's not quite there yet.

JesuswasaZombie

15 Jan 2012, 23:29

I worked on the first 22 Dreamliners...

woah 3d printing has come a long way...

ripster

16 Jan 2012, 00:54

Clarified my post.

Are those things safe to get on? I worked at Boeing once and some stuff I saw scares me.

squarebox

18 Jan 2012, 02:30

ripster wrote:Clarified my post.

Are those things safe to get on? I worked at Boeing once and some stuff I saw scares me.
Ripster is a aerospace chief engineer?

ripster

18 Jan 2012, 03:18

Yeah, my Uncle worked for them too. 707 horizontal stabilizer strut broke on a plane out of Africa and it was supposed to hold with even one strut broken. We put it on this enormous pneumatic jig, called in the FAA observers, stressed the remaining two members, and......CRACK!

Whoops. Recall time.

Not to worry....This stuff NEVER HAPPENS anymore with improved computer modeling techniques and modern materials.

http://www.airlinesafety.com/faq/faq10.htm

Well, maybe a little. Modern composites don't show stress fractures.

Then there was the time we were sent a big metal piece that they found on the runway. We never did figure out where that came from.

JesuswasaZombie

20 Jan 2012, 09:47

FOD!

It's extremely over engineered for safety :D

I would definitely fly on one... Though i watched Plane 1's first flight... Wouldn't have flown on that one...

ripster

05 Feb 2012, 17:47

Then there are Micron Executives that like to fly experimental planes.

That didn't turn out too well.

Boeing Field:

Charlie_Brown_MX

10 Feb 2012, 14:35

harrison wrote:[…] it would make far more sense to use cnc to mill your keycaps that it does to extrude them.
Custom-milling keycaps was the first thing I thought of when I read about Roland’s iModella desktop CNC machine.

Return to “Keyboards”