Aliexpress APC/Tai-hao Alps clone switches - are they any good?

green-squid

21 Jan 2018, 16:21

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0d2b3ZileN

I'm considering replacing the linear Alps SKCL Green switches in my Zenith ZKB-7 (eaZy PC) keyboard with clicky switches. I saw these switches pop up on aliexpress a while ago and though it was interesting. They sell 3 types:

1.: Blue, 55g clicky

2.: White 65g linear

3.: Green 280g clicky (I don't see why they'd sell such a heavy switch but ok)

I'm interested in the clicky variant, of course. It should probably work great, but what do you think? Have you used them?

Are there cheaper alternatives?
Attachments
APC alps switches from aliexpress
APC alps switches from aliexpress
alps.png (175.83 KiB) Viewed 3043 times

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Jan 2018, 16:37

APC BSW 280WH (the green type) is for a "very special machine" and Tai-Hao suggested that "end users buy 280gw APC switch for their curious". It is not meant for keyboards.

I have a feeling that someone reviewed them at some point somewhere, but they're not widely encountered.

green-squid

21 Jan 2018, 16:47

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: APC BSW 280WH (the green type) is for a "very special machine" and Tai-Hao suggested that "end users buy 280gw APC switch for their curious". It is not meant for keyboards.

I have a feeling that someone reviewed them at some point somewhere, but they're not widely encountered.
I don't want those green types. Too heavy for my fingers.

Have you tried them? Do you know of any other places where you can get cheap clicky Alps clone switches?

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Jan 2018, 16:58

I have the switches, but few people have typed on them.

Off the top of my head, the only Alps-compatible keyboard switches on the market (that you can buy directly) are Tai-Hao APC and Matias. There are other four-tab clones on sale here and there, but they're heavier switches.

green-squid

21 Jan 2018, 17:16

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I have the switches, but few people have typed on them.

Off the top of my head, the only Alps-compatible keyboard switches on the market (that you can buy directly) are Tai-Hao APC and Matias. There are other four-tab clones on sale here and there, but they're heavier switches.
So if I were to order these and put them in the Zenith, I'd be the first one! I will hopefully order some.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Jan 2018, 17:40

Having just tested a few against Cherry MX Blue (both types unused), I notice that the consistency of the Tai-Hao switches seems poor, while the four MX switches all feel the same. One or two of the Tai-Hao switches had a lower tactile force than MX Blue, but a sharper tactile point. A couple more felt more tactile but less-well-defined.

That is one difference that I expect you'll get with cheaper switches — lower consistency. The switches may all be within tolerance, but they'll feel distinctly different from each other.

green-squid

21 Jan 2018, 17:54

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Having just tested a few against Cherry MX Blue (both types unused), I notice that the consistency of the Tai-Hao switches seems poor, while the four MX switches all feel the same. One or two of the Tai-Hao switches had a lower tactile force than MX Blue, but a sharper tactile point. A couple more felt more tactile but less-well-defined.

That is one difference that I expect you'll get with cheaper switches — lower consistency. The switches may all be within tolerance, but they'll feel distinctly different from each other.
That sucks :( . Do you know of a place where I could buy clicky Alps clone switches for cheap (but ones that don't suck)?

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Jan 2018, 18:16

Tai-Hao and Matias are the only two type that I can think of that you can buy from an online store. Matias switches are much better known. Are you avoiding Matias switches?

Tuntematon

21 Jan 2018, 18:55

If you have the patience, I think it would be worthwhile to wait and try to find to some SKCM blue or white switches in excellent condition. Otherwise, I'd go with Matias. I wouldn't bother with Tai-Hao or any other clones.

green-squid

21 Jan 2018, 19:28

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Tai-Hao and Matias are the only two type that I can think of that you can buy from an online store. Matias switches are much better known. Are you avoiding Matias switches?
I'm not avoiding them, but I can't find them for cheap.

rich1051414

21 Jan 2018, 19:43

Matias switches feel more consistent, but they also have a second bump to them which feels strange, one from the tactile or click leaf, and then another from the switch plate. APC's don't have that, but they are inconsistent sounding and feeling and the tactility of the mantis leafs are too aggressive in an unpleasant way. They are a bit fatiguing. Personally I am not a fan of switches with mantis style leafs, but who knows, you may like it.

Return to “Keyboards”