Lubing Mitsumi miniature mechanical switches? (PowerStation by KEA)

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

18 Feb 2018, 13:41

I bought this keyboard because I loved the layout and the brand-new condition of it. The label says "PowerStation by KEA" and it has Mitsumi miniature mechanical switches. Despite the good condition, it is dreadful to type on. It just feels so scratchy.

I was wondering if there is any practical way to lube these switches. From what I've read online, these guys are really difficult to open. So even if I desoldered the whole board, I'm not sure it would be any easier to apply the lubricant. Do you think there's any way to lube these switches while they're still mounted on the board? There's quite a big opening around the slider and I really feel like it would help the feel of this board. Thanks!

Nuum

18 Feb 2018, 13:48

Lubing them really helps, try to run some thin lube down into the housing, but don't overdo it or you might end up with contact problems.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

18 Feb 2018, 17:21

Nuum wrote: Lubing them really helps, try to run some thin lube down into the housing, but don't overdo it or you might end up with contact problems.
Sweet, I'll give it a shot. I'll try to do a before-and-after typing video. Just ordered some blunt syringes for the precision factor.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Feb 2018, 12:25

Interesting, yet another board that copies the DEC LK201 and this time with Mitsumis. Mind if I add this to the wiki?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

23 Feb 2018, 15:31

Blaise170 wrote: Interesting, yet another board that copies the DEC LK201 and this time with Mitsumis. Mind if I add this to the wiki?

Please feel free. Let me know if you need any info or photos. Thanks!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

24 Feb 2018, 20:58

Finished lubing the sucker. Here's a blog post with all the details:

https://www.keyboardjunk.com/posts/powerstation-by-kea/

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Feb 2018, 21:58

This keyboard or one identical-looking is mentioned here:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5Cm ... frontcover

(page 270)

No mention of PowerStation, though; the photo is of a KEA VT200 that looks the same. $289 for the VT220-compatible model, and $435 for the VT240-compatible model.

Was there a photo of the PCB anywhere? I'm curious who made this.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

24 Feb 2018, 22:17

I'm not sure if KEA was the manufacturer but that's the only thing I see printed on the PCB
Spoiler:

Here is a copy of the manual as well which might have some additional info:
http://wickensonline.co.uk/static/files ... Manual.pdf

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Feb 2018, 23:29

KEA Systems Ltd was a British company, and other ones said "Made in the U.K. by KEA".

As such, Devlin was suggested, but when I asked Devlin about this keyboard, they replied but said nothing about it.

It could just be that KEA also liked that switch; it seems that GRI sold switches from this series under their own name too, as KBM-DIN.

Return to “Keyboards”