Has anyone ever...?

immortalx

14 Apr 2018, 17:39

Findecanor wrote:
immortalx wrote: Sorry for hijacking the OP's post, but I feel it's relevant so here's the idea I was talking about:
This very rough mockup is able to host a full ATX motherboard, a standard ATX PSU, a GPU with riser, possibly two 3.5 inch HDDs and an additional SSD.
Haven't thought about airflow and tons of other stuff, nor am I the right man to do so, so please suggest if you like that kind of idea and if so, we could open a new thread as an interest check.
Keyboard or not, I would like to see a PC case with a somewhat modular backplate where in which builders could fit either a GPU on an angled riser (like Silverstone FTZ01, FD Node 202 etc.) or use half-height expansion cards.
AIrflow in those mITX cases with angled GPU riser is usually from the top by the CPU fan and out through the back and right side ... or with a all-in-one water-cooler with radiator and fans in place of the GPU.
If you are going to support putting a monitor on top, you would need to reinforce the top case.

I also think that you should lower the front edge of the keyboard, to be more like the C64C and Amiga 500/600/1200 and less like the Apple II and C64. A lower keyboard is a more ergonomic keyboard.

Also, put ports on the back and on the left, not on the right ... and not under the keyboard (like the Apple II and Atari ST... :roll: ) The right side would be for removable media to slot into the machine. Otherwise they would be in the way for the mouse. Most headphones have the wire coming out of the left cup, so the right place for the headphone jack would be on the left so as not to be in the way. (although some argue that it should be in the front so as to go between the hands...)

BTW, I have been toying with the idea of like the MeC64 but for the Amiga: a replacement keyboard with Cherry MX switches but which would fit also in the A500 and in keyboard cases made for Mitsumi innards. Also with optional two DSUB DE-9 in and USB out.
The idea of a modular back plate is pretty interesting! For monitor support, there's some space between the board/PSU, about 1/3 from the right side, which could probably host some vertical support material, either part of the plastic case or an extra metal bracket maybe?
As for the keyboard placement: It's currently angled at 10 degrees with the bottom of the outmost row at almost 50mm from the bottom of the case. It can go lower than that, but the HDDs live underneath the keyboard area and I thought of leaving plenty of space, cause I'm not sure how the keyboard PCB should be mounted.

Return to “Keyboards”