City explorers stumbled upon vintage computers(terminals)

Mr.Nobody

07 May 2018, 10:40

The real stuff starts from 8:15, if you are in the vicinity of this site, you could go there and get the board ;)

green-squid

07 May 2018, 13:10

It would be a shame to only grab the keyboards. I think.

This place seems like a goldmine! So much stuff. But one of the rules of this whole 'urban exploration' is that you leave everything the way you found it, so other explorers can see them. But as we know, there will be always some hooligan pieces of shit who just ruin these places anyway, so it's a dilemma. Even Pripyat's abandoned stuff (town next to Chernobyl nuclear reactor) had been somewhat vandalised (and of course old residents getting some stuff back) before they turned it into a catastrophe tourism site.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

07 May 2018, 15:41

This place looks awesome to explore, but how would you even know where it is? Urban explorers typically try to keep their locations a secret.

Mr.Nobody

07 May 2018, 16:12

Yes, the explorers' ethics prevent them from revealing the locations. If by chance someone on DT recognizes the place, he can go and rescue those terminals.

Here is another video, an abandoned thrift store, with a computer and appliances still on.

It really bothers me to know those machines are still on, they might cause fire sometime, why there is still power on the premise? Who pays the bills, it's really not eco-friendly...neighter it is safe.

Ir0n

07 May 2018, 18:17

Me and my friends use to do this kind of stuff when we were little.

We often would break into this like really really old hospital and it still had like the beds and stuff in it.. was really creepy! Lol

There was also a school that closed in the 80s and it had a bunch of IBM computers in. I wanna say it was a bunch of model 25s None of them had keyboards though at least from what I remember..shocked that stuff was in there at the time because the doors was just wide open all the time. They tore it down though so no going back. D;

codemonkeymike

07 May 2018, 20:30

Mr.Nobody wrote: It really bothers me to know those machines are still on, they might cause fire sometime, why there is still power on the premise? Who pays the bills, it's really not eco-friendly...neighter it is safe.
Yah a lot of places "slip through the cracks". I know someone who has been living in a home were the mortgage hasn't been payed in 6 years and no one cares. Just slipped through the cracks.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

07 May 2018, 20:47

I recently found a abandoned spot with the power still on as well. Its so confusing, because someone has to be paying for it. Not sure why this happens.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

07 May 2018, 20:48

Often it's being paid by an organization (such as a school system) who don't ask questions, they just pay it and continue on with their lives.

Mr.Nobody

08 May 2018, 00:39

All those stuff can be recycled. I wonder what will happen to the grounds and houses and stuff in it, if the owner died and noone reclaims them. There must be a lot of places like these.Who knows what kind of interesting/creepy stuff they have there.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

08 May 2018, 00:47

There are plenty of places in the United States with buildings that are completely abandoned and left to rot. I'd wager tens if not hundreds of thousands of buildings all over the US. Some are certainly more interesting that others such as an old hospital while others are simpler like houses that are barely still standing.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 May 2018, 12:08

"city exploring" (as they seem to call it) is a serious felony, you could go to jail if they catch you (it's basically burglary even if you don't take anything). Even more so if the site is falling apart and there are signs saying that it's dangerous.

you could go to junk yards and flea markets though. it's very random but you can sometimes find hidden jewels, the problem is that you have to go 100 times to actually find something interesting.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 May 2018, 12:46

matt3o wrote: "city exploring" (as they seem to call it) is a serious felony, you could go to jail if they catch you (it's basically burglary even if you don't take anything). Even more so if the site is falling apart and there are signs saying that it's dangerous.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 May 2018, 12:56

wait a second! that is archaeology... give or take

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

08 May 2018, 13:43

Urban exploration is a gray area depending on where you live, in the United States it's typically just misdemeanor trespassing (if they even decide to arrest you), burglary if you broke in or took things. In other places like the UK, trespassing is not a criminal offense at all and is instead a civil matter.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

08 May 2018, 19:59

Blaise170 wrote: Urban exploration is a gray area depending on where you live, in the United States it's typically just misdemeanor trespassing (if they even decide to arrest you), burglary if you broke in or took things. In other places like the UK, trespassing is not a criminal offense at all and is instead a civil matter.
ive never been caught doing it, but a police officer who is a family friend said that 90% of cops will let you off with nothing for doing it.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 May 2018, 20:03

let's agree it depends on where you are

Mr.Nobody

09 May 2018, 08:02

I heard a case that an explorer disappeared in Paris underground tomb(I can't recall the name of it.) It's advisable to have more companions doing urban exploration together, after all, who knows what or whom you will encounter at those abandoned sites, doing it alone might end up with your name appears on a missing person list. In some cases, when the police come, they are not the problems but saviors.
Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 09 May 2018, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

09 May 2018, 12:26

The Paris Catacombs are under the city, yes, and they are (unlike many places) completely illegal to explore. The reasons are many but one of the biggest is that it's extremely easy to get lost down there. If you go, you absolutely need to be in a group and it's recommended to have a guide rope that you can follow back in case you get lost.

Mr.Nobody

09 May 2018, 13:44

There is a horror movie based on the Catacombs, really worth watching. I wonder any professionals have the entire map of the Catacombs or most parts of them remain unknown even today? Anyway, even from an archeological perspective, the Catacombs are still morbidly spooky, simply talking about it gives me goose pimples, yet a famous city sits on them.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

09 May 2018, 14:56

Apparently there are "professionals" known as Cataphiles that know of hidden access points throughout the Catacombs, but of course they wouldn't tell you about them unless they trusted you enough not to vandalize anything or seriously injure yourself. The Paris police force have a special unit that patrols the closed off sections that will fine random explorers, but supposedly they will typically look the other way for the Cataphiles. Here is the most complete map currently available publicly (without any access points marked).

http://i.imgur.com/1ES1OdK.jpg

Mr.Nobody

10 May 2018, 15:29

[youtube][/youtube]@Blaise 170
Thanks for the link. They are bigger in scale than I thought, and I didn't know they are not all connected.

Urban explorers found some other vintage keyboards (37:26,39:42), this time in an abandoned nuclear power plant that is definitely a dumbfounding big facility project.

Return to “Keyboards”