Looking for low-profile mechanical keyboard

Draghmar

09 May 2018, 13:34

Hi.
I need you to help me replace my current keyboard, which is Logitech k750. I wanted to go with mechanical switches this time...just because. ;)
From what I have read and switches I've bought and tested I *think* I'd like to go with low profile tactile or linear switches (haven't decided yet but leaning toward tactile), so Kailh PG1350 comes to mind. If you know some others like that I could also take them into consideration. The lower the travel (especially pre) the better. I know there is PG1232 series...somewhere...but those are only clicky at the moment as far I've seen, even though Deskthority's wiki says they are tactile - or maybe I'm wrong and wiki is right?
But the problem is I need a full keyboard with ISO 102 physical layout (based on Deskthority's wiki - basically big enter and backspace) and international logical layout - I'm from Poland and we don't use region specific layout here - the one I'm using looks like US one with AltGr I think and it's called Polish Programmers, like this one:
http://www.chrismary.com/languagekeyboa ... yboard.jpg
Also this layout would be more then fine:
https://zowie.benq.com/content/dam/game ... ii_top.png

I've seen keyboards like Tesoro Gram XS, Dareu EK820 or Havit HV-KB395L and they are beautiful but they lack the layout.
I don't care about backlight. I don't need it.
I do care however about multimedia keys - I often use them to control Spotify and to mute sound. Could be as a Fn shortcut but dedicated are more then welcome.
Is there a keyboard that will meet my requirements?

And there's also this small thing I would really like to have which is wireless. I do play a lot of games so it can't be anything that will add too much latency (Bluetooth). I did check Logitech's G613 but it is big and didn't feel right to me for some reason. But my perfect keyboard would be Logitech G613 with low-profile switches.

I know the probability of finding keyboard like that is very small so I also wonder if it's possible to build one.
I tried to find some components but I'm noob here - I don't know where and what circuit board I should choose, don't know anything about controllers and where to get a case. The wireless is something I could let go but with very heavy heart mind you. :P

um...help? :duck:
Last edited by Draghmar on 09 May 2018, 14:49, edited 2 times in total.

Findecanor

09 May 2018, 14:02

One more brand to that list: Sharkoon Pure Writer.

I doubt that you will be able to find a keyboard with low-profile Kailh Choc switches that have a backwards-L shaped "Big-Ass" Enter key like the Zowie keyboard. German layout with vertical Enter key does exist however (the Sharkoon one, at least).

As to DIY supplies, so far NovelKeys has switches of several types and keycaps (US-ANSI layout only). I have seen also several PCBs but for for mini-ergonomic keyboards.
However no stabiliser bars (needed for larger keys) and no PCB for regular keyboards anywhere.
I have seen one or two "Interest Check" threads for a kit-keyboard in regular layout but I don't think it went anywhere...
Last edited by Findecanor on 09 May 2018, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Draghmar

09 May 2018, 14:08

Oh, yeah. I forgot about Sharkoon - I've seen it and was so happy with big enter...until I found out it was only for DE layout :(

Yup - I've seen mostly some smaller factors in terms of PCBs. But those thing are generally hard to find and some of them look "universal" so I thought that there may be some small supplier or some other weird source. ;)

Findecanor

09 May 2018, 14:21

Oh, is it the vertical Enter key that you call "Big Enter"? This article explains the common nomenclature we use here. :)

Then you could perhaps get a German keyboard, and swap the keys with those of this key set.
I'm sorry I did not see before, but it does come a vertical Enter key. It is not that easy to see through the plastic in the images.

Draghmar

09 May 2018, 14:35

Hehe...I'm always amazed about this community. I mean I never expected that there are so many people passionate about something like keycaps or the size and shape of the enter key. :D
Based on your link my "Big Enter" would mean: ISO/JIS, Backwards-L ("Big-ass") or Backwards-L ("Slim-ass"/"semi-big-ass") with "Big Backspace" along with it, whatever it is officially called ;). I just like them because it's easier to hit those buttons when they are bigger. ;)

I didn't noticed You've updated your previous post. Thanks! I found NovelKeys before when I was looking for keycaps for low-profile switches. And this the only thing I did found for my hypothetical DIY keyboard. :)

Yeah, so the "perhaps" thingy is quite important here as I don't have enough experience in this subject to have a base for the decision. :P But the idea looks interesting.

Draghmar

19 Jun 2018, 13:47

A little update on my quest to find The Keyboard with evaluation of my priorities:
I'm at this moment in life when I really need to change my current keyboard to feel superior because my Logitech k750 is slowly dying :( I could simply buy new one as I'm quite happy with overall quality of it but then again that would mean stagnation instead of adventure! :D

Like I said before I decided to go with mechanical this time (because why not!). Like always I did huge research and ended up with The List.
My List is based on some criteria that is very hard to meet:
  • mechanical,
  • low profile,
  • can't be clicky,
  • has to have multimedia keys,
  • full size.
As a bonus it would be great to have:
  • wireless (not bluetooth because you know, gaming) with long batter life,
  • tactile switches (like brown),
  • ISO layout (double enter with big backspace).
Unfortunately I couldn't find anything for bonuses other then Logitech G613.
I did bought a few key switches to get the idea how each of them work. The one I like the most are Kailh red and brown. It's couldn't find brown in low-profile keyboards so the red will have to do.

Ok, so let's get back to The List:
  1. Dareu EK820.
  2. Tesoro GRAM XS.
  3. Gamdias Hermes P3.
  4. Ducky (Air) Blade.
  5. Cooler Master CK640.
  6. Anidess Full Size.
  7. HAVIT HV-KB395L.
And now let's go through whole list with the things I already know about them. This is also section with questions I have hoping you could address them:

Ad 1. I can't find any good info about that one. I like the look of it and the price is interesting. I found it through Deskthority's wiki (or maybe it was Havit...can't remember). Has anyone have some experience with this keyboard? Or at least with the company?
Ad 2. I really like the design both in terms of ascetics and technical point of view. But it's hard to get, it's pricey and all the reviews I've seen pointed to the wobbling keycaps - any experience in that matter? They've also stated that it was quite noisy.
Ad 3. I really can't find ANY info about it. Nothing at all. So anything you have would be more then appreciated!
Ad 4. It's still in the works :( This would be my personal favourite if it would be available. Do you happen to know when they will release it?
Ad 5. Same as above. With the small difference that it should be available at the end of the year or beginning of the next one. Way too long for me to wait.
Ad 6. They said it should be available between end of the June and middle of the July. Apart from that I don't anything about both keyboard and the company itself.
Ad 7. Is that true it's only blue switch?

If you know any other keyboard that would meet my requirements feel free to mention it! All the help in the Quest to Find The One Keyboard will be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Big Bricced

20 Jun 2018, 08:54

this one??? https://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/G ... ds/Vulcan/ I never tried it but I am sure it came out fairly recently

Draghmar

20 Jun 2018, 09:22

Big Bricced wrote: this one??? https://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/G ... ds/Vulcan/ I never tried it but I am sure it came out fairly recently
Thanks for the tip!
I did see this keyboard before. It looks very interesting but it's not low-profile. It has 32mm height vs 21-24mm low profile normally have. But I do have on my back up list.

Return to “Keyboards”