SteelSeries 6GV2 Spacebar Stuck Issue

cable

29 Jan 2012, 23:08

Another issue here I've experienced with my newly arrived 6GV2 as my other one had this problem.

Anyway, to the actual problem:

The spacebar gets stuck halfway if I press with some extra force, which isn't really a lot more than usual. It would happen within a little while if I press "normally" too. The key travel gets reduced to about 50% less I'd say. It's extremely frustrating to use it.

To fix it I have to remove the spacebar and carefully attach it again but it will get stuck after a little usage anyway. You'll notice how I just fixed the spacebar for the video and it will eventually get stuck.

Video demonstrating the issue (note the height/placement of the spacebar in the beginning and the end):
Anyone know a possible fix for this or should I send in this keyboard as well?

xbb

30 Jan 2012, 02:58

did you check the stabilizers?

ripster

30 Jan 2012, 03:16

Hmmm..... two sticky Steelseries keyboards in a row.

Maybe that is telling you something.

Anyhoo try this:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title= ... Feel+Right

cable

30 Jan 2012, 04:17

ripster wrote:Hmmm..... two sticky Steelseries keyboards in a row.

Maybe that is telling you something.

Anyhoo try this:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title= ... Feel+Right
Hmm I think I did it correctly but I didn't help. And indeed, I bought it for £25 and got a new one due to the other issue, but these issues are extremely annoying.

I'm assuming they mean this right here (that you should just bend them down a bit and hold it) :

I also pulled up the stabilizers and held them up for a few seconds.

Swede

30 Jan 2012, 07:38

I've started to see this as well over on Sweclockers.com. A lot of new 6g's have started to fail at the spacebar. I wonder if this is sometinhg to worry about?

mintberryminuscrunch

30 Jan 2012, 11:13

Place the spacebar on a flat surface and check if it is bend (that was the problem with some zowie sb some time ago)

tholoz

30 Jan 2012, 13:09

I'm pretty sure its the space button, cause it works perfect with a little key.
The spacebar isn't completely flat.

Is there a way to buy a new spacebar? or can steelseries send a replacement out'?

I did go to the store where I bought mine and got another one and it had same problem, same batch.
and they only had 2 in stock.. sign.. and I dont wanna bother them again.

mintberryminuscrunch

30 Jan 2012, 17:08

Just send the customer service a mail. They should send you a new spacebar for free

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2012, 19:18

I had a very similar issue on the Razer BlackWidow. The reason for it was that the stem mold on the spacebar was too wide to fit the stabilizer properly and it always slipped out. What I did was inserting a tiny strip of tape over the stem and then pressing it down on the stabilizer. Try if it works for you.

tholoz

30 Jan 2012, 20:05

customer service have contacted me, and will send me a spacebar free of charge.

Thanks Sixty, it's a good tip I didn't think of, but as my spacebar was from a bad batch it's a bit like banana form, even not much it make the key stuck. And I think the op have the same probs as me.

cable

30 Jan 2012, 21:05

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:Place the spacebar on a flat surface and check if it is bend (that was the problem with some zowie sb some time ago)
You're correct. My spacebar seem to be bent.

I'll send a message to the support and I'll hopefully get a new spacebar along with some keycaps as some are already fading away.
sixty wrote:I had a very similar issue on the Razer BlackWidow. The reason for it was that the stem mold on the spacebar was too wide to fit the stabilizer properly and it always slipped out. What I did was inserting a tiny strip of tape over the stem and then pressing it down on the stabilizer. Try if it works for you.
I'll definitely give it a shot. I'll come with an update if it worked, I'll still mail them though!

Thanks for the help guys.

cable

03 Feb 2012, 00:55

I sent an email to the SteelSeries Support and they've sent me a spacebar replacement as well as other keycaps to replace the ones that has gotten reduced lettering.

mintberryminuscrunch

03 Feb 2012, 01:16

..edit..

cable

03 Feb 2012, 02:25

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:..edit..
Should've done, can't seem to delete the post now and edit the previous one. Oh well.

Return to “Keyboards”