How to re-map key's (IBM M 122). Help appreciated

anzedosh

20 Jun 2018, 23:47

Hello to all

:? Disclaime: I have no experience in programing

I need some help. I acquire an IBM M terminal 1394327 YU-layout keyboard. And I converted it to USB by using Teensy 2.0.
I loaded up the teensy.exe tested it. Then installed Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega16u4.hex on the teensy. The keyboard works great.
Now I've like to re-map the key's. But I don’t know how to start. I downloaded the Soarer_Converter_v1.0.zip
And checking the files. I can't open any and as I mentioned I have no idea how to start. I read the docs. And just can't make any out of it.
I would really appreciate very much if someone could help me dearly.

Thanks, Anze

scottc

20 Jun 2018, 23:55

There are command-line utilities:

scas: Soarer's Converter Assemble - takes a .sc keymap file and converts it into a .bin file that you can flash
scwr: Soarer's Converter Write - takes a .bin file produced by scas and writes it to the converter

Assuming you're on Windows, there should be a .bat file called scaswr.bat (or something) that combines both of the above. From the docs:
scaswr.bat (Windows only) v1.1+
A combination of scas and scwr, designed so you can simply drag'n'drop a config file onto it (or a shortcut to it). It will assemble the text config and then write the resulting binary config to the converter, in a single step.
This is all info that you can get from the docs directory - see soarer/docs/tools.html
If you don't have a docs dir, iirc there's a separate zip file for you to download from Soarer's thread.

My config is here, maybe you can find config that helps: https://github.com/scottcunningham/soar ... ter_config

depletedvespene

21 Jun 2018, 00:05

You need to write a text file containing the remapping you desire, which you'll then pass to the batch file that writes said remapping "into" the teensy. This is done with a simple text editor (think notepad). See this post of mine with my own mappings for the M122 and the F122 keyboards that I have:

keyboards-f2/examples-of-soarer-convert ... ml#p390537

Copy the code that I posted there, paste it into a text file and save it with whatever name you want, with an .sc extension. That's the remappig file you'll use.

Do take one important thing into account: for remapping you need to think in two different "levels": the lower, physical level, and the uppper, national (or logical) level. For example, look at your keyboard and locate the key that is right next to the L key. In Soarer's docs and remappings and whatnot, in the physical level, that key is called SEMICOLON (because in the US layout, that one has the ; symbol printed on it). When remapping, the SEMICOLON key has to stay as the SEMICOLON key, and that is why it won't be mentioned in most remapping files.

In the upper, logical level, the operating system is configured with a specific national layout, so that the signal sent by the (physical) SEMICOLON key will be received by Windows (or Linux, etc.), who will understand that signal to mean that a ';' character has been typed... on an English national layout. The same SEMICOLON key will produce an 'Ñ' in a Spanish layout, an 'Ö' in a German layout, etcetera.

anzedosh

21 Jun 2018, 00:27

Thanks for the replys!

I checked all the bat files and they immediately close after opening it. The files are called close.bat and make.bat. I didn’t find scaswr.bat. I downloaded Soarer_Converter_v1.0.zip as mentioned. Can you send me the file or point me towards it?

Depletedvespene, thanks for the technical answer and for the heads up! So after making the code I just convert the notepad file to a .SC extension. My SEMICOLON key is Čč. I will try to do as you mentioned.

Thanks for now :)

depletedvespene

21 Jun 2018, 00:31

anzedosh wrote: Thanks for the replys!

I checked all the bat files and they immediately close after opening it. The files are called close.bat and make.bat. I didn’t find scaswr.bat. I downloaded Soarer_Converter_v1.0.zip as mentioned. Can you send me the file or point me towards it?

Depletedvespene, thanks for the technical answer and for the heads up! So after making the code I just convert the notepad file to a .SC extension. My SEMICOLON key is Čč. I will try to do as you mentioned.

Thanks for now :)
Remember to open a CMD shell and execute the batch files from the command line. You'll need to pass them parameters, which you can't do if you execute them by double clicking on them in the Windows' File Explorer.

As per the alphanum block on your keyboard, I'm pretty sure you won't need to remap anything there (except the "non-negotiable" line that you can see on my .sc file), as the character differences (Č in this case) are all handled at the upper, logical level.

Good luck!

sexzual_hotdog

21 Jun 2018, 02:08

you need to make a simple text file called remap.sc and do write your keymaps in there. use hid_listen.exe to see what key codes are being produced when the key you are trying to remap is being pressed. once you have everything mapped the way you want it, open up soarer_sctools_v1.10_win32 folder and you should see scawr.bat. drag your remap text file onto it with your keyboard plugged in, and it will flash it. might be willing to do a video if you still need more help.

anzedosh

21 Jun 2018, 09:30

Hi,

I un ziped the Soarer_sctools_v1.0_windows. And the only file that I found that resembled teh name was scwr.exe. No scwr.bat. For curiosity I draged it into the CMD and opened, it repyid to short.

I appreciate the help, but I'm stuck at the base start.

anzedosh

21 Jun 2018, 16:33

anzedosh wrote: Hi,

I un ziped the Soarer_sctools_v1.0_windows. And the only file that I found that resembled teh name was scwr.exe. No scwr.bat. For curiosity I draged it into the CMD and opened, it repyid to short.

Excuse my ignorance. I found the bat file.
Sorry for the time wasting

depletedvespene

21 Jun 2018, 16:36

anzedosh wrote:
anzedosh wrote: Hi,

Excuse my ignorance. I found the bat file.
Sorry for the time wasting
No problem, man. We all start out as ignorant newbies. :D

I look forward to seeing what remappings you choose to do for your keyboard.

tommaso

15 Feb 2020, 18:50

thanks to this forum I enjoy my baby

:D :D

Riptide666

22 Dec 2020, 02:26

Hi, I tried to drag my remapped file onto the scawr batch file. However, it only appeared under the same folder as the scawr.bat file, not into the scawr.bat file. What am I missing here?

Thanks!
sexzual_hotdog wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 02:08
you need to make a simple text file called remap.sc and do write your keymaps in there. use hid_listen.exe to see what key codes are being produced when the key you are trying to remap is being pressed. once you have everything mapped the way you want it, open up soarer_sctools_v1.10_win32 folder and you should see scawr.bat. drag your remap text file onto it with your keyboard plugged in, and it will flash it. might be willing to do a video if you still need more help.

Quartz64

23 Dec 2020, 13:57

Try to launch it manually. Launch PowerShell, 'cd' to your 'tools' directory, and then:

Code: Select all

.\scas.exe .\m122.sc m122.scb
.\scwr.exe .\m122.scb
You should see something like this:

Code: Select all

scas v1.10
No errors. Wrote: .\m122.scb

scwr v1.10
scwr: looking for Soarer's Converter: found
scwr: reading file: 183 bytes: ok
scwr: sending info request: ok
device: ok