Matching IBM Model M Controller with Keyboard

clickityClackity

03 Aug 2018, 20:16

First off, I admittedly fucked up... Without embarrassing myself by explaining the why, I'll just get to the point.

I have several Model M's (mostly SSK's) that were opened up, and the controllers got mixed together. Does anyone know how to match the IBM controllers with the rest of the keyboard?

PlacaFromHell

03 Aug 2018, 21:14

Maybe if you find what membrane part number goes with what controller part number. You should ask Unicomp, they sell membranes for most model M's so maybe they can identify the controllers. This can sound a bit stupid but, if you have a bunch of exactly the same keyboards you could count how much identical controllers do you have and they should match if you don't have the same number of other type of SSK. Good luck.

ag36

04 Aug 2018, 01:10

If they are not ansi mixed with iso should there's only three types(I think) of membrane of model M, should no harm can be done as long as the connector matches. SSK controllers I've seen has no led breakout connector but empty pads yet iso ssk are rare.

clickityClackity

15 Aug 2018, 20:56

PlacaFromHell wrote:Maybe if you find what membrane part number goes with what controller part number. You should ask Unicomp, they sell membranes for most model M's so maybe they can identify the controllers. This can sound a bit stupid but, if you have a bunch of exactly the same keyboards you could count how much identical controllers do you have and they should match if you don't have the same number of other type of SSK. Good luck.
They're not the same Model #'s unfortunately, and the controllers look different. Don't want to plug one in if there's a chance it can screw something up. They're also IBM, but I guess it couldn't hurt to reach out to Unicomp!

clickityClackity

15 Aug 2018, 20:58

ag36 wrote:If they are not ansi mixed with iso should there's only three types(I think) of membrane of model M, should no harm can be done as long as the connector matches. SSK controllers I've seen has no led breakout connector but empty pads yet iso ssk are rare.
They're all ANSI, but they don't look the same... The connectors do match up if I remember correctly but I'm hesitant to plug mismatched parts together. I'll have to check when I'm back at my workshop!

andrewjoy

17 Aug 2018, 10:58

When i get home i will have a look at the number of the IC on an SSK controller chip. That may give you a idea what one is for the SSK.

But you wont break anything by just trying it as long as the connectors are the same size. Its quite common for example to get a random M controller ( even out of the rubber dome model) and use it in a terminal 102 M or a terminal SSK to get it working (without embedded num pad ofc).

wcass

18 Aug 2018, 04:20

There is absolutely no danger in plugging the wrong controller onto the wrong membrane (for IBM/Lexmark/Unicomp anyway) so long as they are all the 16x8 controllers. Beware the 16x12 controllers as the 12 pin connector is the 8 rows combined with the 4 LED pins.

Return to “Keyboards”