Kailh BOX problem, my version

q11q11

09 Aug 2018, 10:02

Hi!
Looks like I have woke up from cryo-sleep.
I have completely missed news about Kailh BOX switch problems.

And this is real problem to me because in the beginning of january I have bought:
- "Heavy Burnt Orange" (from KBDfans Store at aliexpress);
- "Heavy Pale Blue" (from KBDfans Store at aliexpress);
- "Box Clear 45g Clicky" (from MKzealots Store at aliexpress);
- "Box Brown 50g Tactile" (from MKzealots Store at aliexpress);

... 110 switches of each color!!! :( :(

So right in the morning I took one BOX switch of each color that I have, cut off BOX's "walls" and measured stem with "mechanical" calipers with precision 0.1mm.
And it LOOKS like all my BOX switches have 1.3mm on X-axis (secondary indexing line on calipers stays exact on mark "3", I think 1.32mm wouldn't make it stay exact on mark "3") and 1.1mm on Y-axis.
Exactly same values I see when I measure my gaterons (blue, green, and brown).
But it's 0.1mm precision.

So I will get back here with photos when I get electronic calipers witn 0.01mm precision.

Maybe I'm lucky and it was some kind of correct production run?
Or maybe those are clones of Kailh BOX which are more correct than originals?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Aug 2018, 10:49

I only have a handful of white BOX switches here that Oblotzky sent me and they all work fine.

My perception was that the real issue is the high production tolerances ON TOP of the out-of-spec design. So while half you switches might be fine, another 30% might slighty wear out your keycaps and another 20% will bust stems or result in stress marks.

chuckdee

09 Aug 2018, 17:07

Wodan wrote: I only have a handful of white BOX switches here that Oblotzky sent me and they all work fine.

My perception was that the real issue is the high production tolerances ON TOP of the out-of-spec design. So while half you switches might be fine, another 30% might slighty wear out your keycaps and another 20% will bust stems or result in stress marks.
That's the impression I get also, from all of the differing responses, which exposes Kailh's reasoning for exactly what it is - hot air.

Return to “Keyboards”