IBM Beamspring 3278 Typing Sound

darkcruix

15 Aug 2018, 15:10

After Chyros has posted his Beamspring 5251 typing video [keyboards-f2/typing-demo-xl-no-solenoid ... ml#p421749], I recorded one as well, as I wanted to show how wide the sound range of IBM Beam Spring keyboards can be:

green-squid

15 Aug 2018, 16:18

mmmmm... Such a nice sound.

Bass

15 Aug 2018, 17:59

I see you painted yours black, which is something I am planning to do with mine as well. Did you get it done professionally (powder coat?) or did you do it yourself?

darkcruix

15 Aug 2018, 18:12

Bass wrote: I see you painted yours black, which is something I am planning to do with mine as well. Did you get it done professionally (powder coat?) or did you do it yourself?
You can say it was done very unprofessionally, as I did it myself. I sanded the case down to the metal and put grounding on it. Once it was dry, I added RAL9005 black and finalized it with a clear coat (all spray paint).
The "plastic door" was treated a little different, instead of sanding and coating I only cleaned it and put holding primer on it before the color.

Even it isn't perfect, I think it plays well with the good old boy. What I really love by using this color is the contrast it has with the super white keycaps.

andrewjoy

15 Aug 2018, 18:13

It looks good black!

I personally would have gone for a satin finish , but still .... Nooooice!

darkcruix

15 Aug 2018, 18:17

andrewjoy wrote: It looks good black!

I personally would have gone for a satin finish , but still .... Nooooice!
I agree with you - if I would do it again, I would also choose a satin finish instead of this. I am planning to put another layer of satin coating on top within the next weeks, to see if it gets me, where I want it to be.

darkcruix

31 Aug 2018, 15:54

I wanted to post a few pictures of the satin coating I gave the keyboard case. I think it turned out to be quite nice:
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG (736.56 KiB) Viewed 3319 times
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1232.JPG (856.38 KiB) Viewed 3319 times

JP!

31 Aug 2018, 16:28

That satin finish looks awesome.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

01 Sep 2018, 10:02

That looks crazy good!

Niko1U

02 Sep 2018, 21:47

green-squid wrote: mmmmm... Such a nice sound.
Indeed

Hypersphere

03 Sep 2018, 22:37

Exquisite sight and sound!

This reminds me of my long-neglected Beamspring project. Unfortunately, my summer got consumed with work, and in my part of the world, I need warm weather for any work that needs to be done out in the garage workshop (such as sanding and painting).

Iggy

07 Sep 2018, 13:44

So that's what they sound like; which is quite awesome! I don't get stereo sound strangely, it's only coming from the left speaker. A pitty, the sound is great! And so is the black paint.

darkcruix

07 Sep 2018, 15:37

Iggy wrote: So that's what they sound like; which is quite awesome! I don't get stereo sound strangely, it's only coming from the left speaker. A pitty, the sound is great! And so is the black paint.
I only recorded it on one channel - I will correct this as soon as I have finished the foam restoration.

darkcruix

16 Sep 2018, 13:13

Here's the new recording after the restoration with both audio channels active:

Return to “Keyboards”