Das Keyboard 5Q Cloud Connected

Elrick

07 Sep 2018, 04:12

Here it is, mass surveillance finally achieved;

https://www.daskeyboard.com/p/5q-cloud- ... -keyboard/

Soft Tactile Smart Mechanical Keyboard (using Omron switches same as what's in the Logitech G810, etc.) so all those that want to live on a Cloud can now do so with this keyboard :mrgreen: .

My Retailer sent me this as a recommendation to purchase;

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/435 ... l-keyboard

Really hate where this is going, giving the Five Eyes even more power over gullible people 24/7.

digital_matthew

07 Sep 2018, 04:36

That thing sounds like a freakin' nightmare. Makes me appreciate old IBM steel even more.

Findecanor

07 Sep 2018, 04:53

Old thread here.

Gah. $250 and bad reviews. Ugly design with half-exposed switches and white mounting plate despite using center-lit switches that don't bleed.

Elrick

07 Sep 2018, 05:03

Findecanor wrote: Old thread here.

Gah. $250 and bad reviews.
That was why I posted it here in the "Keyboards" section since it really isn't News but more of an example of conceited arrogance by a manufacturer.

Because everyone is now on Facebook (not me) and living off their Phones 24/7, Das thought it would be a great idea to have that same idiocy transferred onto a Mechanical Keyboard.

Nothing wrong with the Omron switches (actually like the new Black-coloured switches in the G810 version) but having this online connection which is open to abuse and surveillance by any regime, is truly brainless.

Just makes you hug and keep all your Model-F's and M's. They shall never be forgotten and disposed off, no matter if it's 2018 or 2118.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

07 Sep 2018, 16:58

So, I know the CEO of Das Keyboard in real life. The company is local to Austin. He's nice. Very French. Das is a subsidiary of Metadot. The existing keyboards have used familiar manufacturers: Costar, Tai Hao, Cherry, Omron, Greetech. (I feel comfortable sharing this here, because one need only crack open a shipping board to verify this.)

I feel like I've done Das a disservice because (believe it or not) sometimes I have a problem being too nice in real life instead of directly giving more critical feedback. I'll be more bold here: the company does a fantastic job with marketing, and an okay job with product design.

This board is putting the cart before the horse to some extent. It's a board that some of the programmers at Metadot would like to use. It's not really an enthusiast board. We are outside the target market.

If I ever manage to get my act together I'd like to collaborate with them to build a Real Keyboard. They're just down the road and are pretty well connected. Maybe in 2020?

Elrick

09 Sep 2018, 02:52

XMIT wrote: If I ever manage to get my act together I'd like to collaborate with them to build a Real Keyboard. They're just down the road and are pretty well connected. Maybe in 2020?
Please do that. it looks like they would desperately need help because what they've released, isn't appreciated with any of us here on DT.

Das seems happy to use any type of switch hence it may be in their interests, to use your Hall effect Switches. Would love buying a keyboard that has been properly styled and distributed to every retailer around the globe.

Let's Make Hall Effect - Great Again.....(familiar tag line) ;)

vvp

09 Sep 2018, 16:33

XMIT wrote: It's a board that some of the programmers at Metadot would like to use.
Why would programmers like it?
I do mostly programming and I cannot imagine why I would prefer this over e.g. Kinesis Advantage or Maltron.
It is just a common row staggered layout, not split, not tillable. Well, at least it looks like it may support key remapping and macros. But it has backlight which is more distracting than helpful for a programmer.

It may attract some gamers though. That is the group of people who like blinking lights. Not that it is useful. I would expect programmers to be more pragmatic when selecting their keyboard.

ag36

09 Sep 2018, 17:13

I heard this keyboard can't use macro while offline.

vvp

09 Sep 2018, 18:12

ag36 wrote: I heard this keyboard can't use macro while offline.
Now, that would be a really bad joke.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

10 Sep 2018, 14:00

vvp wrote:
XMIT wrote: It's a board that some of the programmers at Metadot would like to use.
Why would programmers like it?
I do mostly programming and I cannot imagine why I would prefer this over e.g. Kinesis Advantage or Maltron.
It is just a common row staggered layout, not split, not tillable. Well, at least it looks like it may support key remapping and macros. But it has backlight which is more distracting than helpful for a programmer.

It may attract some gamers though. That is the group of people who like blinking lights. Not that it is useful. I would expect programmers to be more pragmatic when selecting their keyboard.
They're a bunch of web developers in their 20s who use Macs and like shiny things. :lol:

vometia
irritant

10 Sep 2018, 15:09

vvp wrote: Why would programmers like it?
This programmer likes Model Ms. She also likes C and doesn't understand why some programmers like weird stuff like Fortran and Java and, God forbid, Pascal. And certainly not C++. :D

I dunno. I guess people have their preferences regardless of what they do. I also use a model M for gaming. Some people might say it's not the ideal keyboard for stuff like combat but I would equally say that I am not the ideal gamer for stuff like combat. I suck at it more than my keyboard does, that's for sure.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

10 Sep 2018, 17:32

vometia wrote: This programmer likes Model Ms. She also likes C and doesn't understand why some programmers like weird stuff like Fortran and Java and, God forbid, Pascal. And certainly not C++. :D
Heh. I've found that the more Java I have to write, the worse off I am. How do you feel about Python, then, or god forbid Perl?

I was pure C (specifically C99) for a while. I'm still suffering PTSD from the year I spent writing Scala. At current $DAY_JOB we decided to write a device driver in C++11. It's not all bad - lambdas are prettier and easier to follow than macros for a lot of things, and default constructors for structs can be nice - but I really wish we'd use the "auto" keyword less frequently.

The Model M was my preferred daily driver for years. These days the pinnacle of buckling spring perfection is not an F62 or F77 (which I don't have), or even my powder coated F107 (which I do have), but the beloved FSSK. But my actual daily driver these days is a Plum EC87 with "55g" (actually 40g) rubber domes and matt3o's glorious /dev/tty. If I could find a way to manufacture either of those two keyboards it would be like printing money. I still keep one of my Hall boards around but I'll talk about that more some other time.

Das started with a pure "otaku" board but got seduced by the glitz and glamor of gaming boards. They need to focus on their roots!

vvp

10 Sep 2018, 20:17

Well, I would go with C++ over C anytime. RAII, and many other small things are just too useful.
Though I would prefer to go with Haskell for high level stuff or Rust for low level stuff.
I'll gladly leave python (or other dynamically typed languages) to people who like to hunt typing errors in run time.

chuckdee

10 Sep 2018, 21:19

XMIT wrote:
vometia wrote: This programmer likes Model Ms. She also likes C and doesn't understand why some programmers like weird stuff like Fortran and Java and, God forbid, Pascal. And certainly not C++. :D
Heh. I've found that the more Java I have to write, the worse off I am. How do you feel about Python, then, or god forbid Perl?
If you were really looking for something to put god forbid in front of, it seems like it would have been c# :D

vometia
irritant

14 Sep 2018, 12:50

I never got round to learning Python: I've often thought I should, or maybe Ruby, but it's one of those things that's "maybe, one day" while I keep struggling with various combinations of shell scripts and awk or going through the rigmarole of doing it in C if performance and/or complexity mandates it. And I often feel I should broaden my horizons a bit! I should at least do some php, but I so rarely do anything with web stuff other than the basics and gluing third party stuff together if necessary.

Scala I've never encountered: I shall take your warning to heart! Though I may take a look from from the point of view of morbid curiosity. Where C++ is concerned I think I was put off not so much by the language but because I've seen so much truly ugly code written in it: I'm not sure why but there're so many examples of stuff that are poorly formatted and contain spaghetti code. And that's even in comparison to the stuff I wrote when I was younger, which was often shameful or just downright weird. And Perl: I know it sounds a bit hollow coming from a C programmer but I could never get into it simply because it's so aesthetically troubling. Hmm, there seems to be a common theme here. And then there's COBOL: about once a decade I think "surely it's not that bad" and take another look. And quickly conclude, yes, actually, it is that bad.

The FSSK mention made me wince a bit: last I heard it wasn't happening and now I seem to have missed the boat. D: Bugger. Oh well. Though I think what I'd want even more than that are just some decent keycaps for my M... by which I mean '70s/'80s-style nearly-white-on-brownish-grey with big, centred legends and spherical profiles. Even though I find the cylindrical ones more comfortable to use, they just don't have the right look!

55g sounds way too light for my clumsy fingers let alone anything less than that. I've never identified the keyboard in question but the thing from the Philips P2xxx ASCII terminals from around 1992ish: probably rebadged and actually made by someone else, but the grey, angular things. I suspect Cherry Reds, or a predecessor or something similar but though the touch-typists supposedly liked them, I've never been one and it was just typo hell as far as I was concerned. I also play bass by way of an explanation, and have a certain degree of dyspraxia (i.e. I am clumsy).

Muirium
µ

14 Sep 2018, 13:29

Centred legends on a Model M?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2023357 ... _active_34

Okay so they’re not spherical, but I have a few DecentKeyboards custom caps. They are very nicely made by one eccentric dyesub enthusiast in Japan. Can’t speak for a whole set—way beyond my price bracket—but he does a superb job on single keys. I couldn’t resist the BBC Micro Owl…

vometia
irritant

14 Sep 2018, 15:57

That is quite rich at nearly £200 for the set but it gives one avenue of hope! From what I recall, you can't dyesub light-on-black but if it is possible and he can do an ISO-UK SSK set I think I may find it hard to resist the temptation to spray one of mine black and give it some nicer caps.

Muirium
µ

14 Sep 2018, 21:48

Oh, Decent can do that. He uses a trick called reverse dyesub, where you mask the area you want to remain pale while dyeing the rest of the cap around it. A lot of work, but he’s Otaku…

If I were you, I’d get in touch with him. Pretty sure he takes requests. I’ve just never the money to go ahead with stuff like that.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

15 Sep 2018, 01:32

The FSSK mention made me wince a bit: last I heard it wasn't happening and now I seem to have missed the boat.
It never really happened. idollar ran a group buy for PCBs once and I built one the hard way.

risk23

15 Sep 2018, 07:09

off-topic:
vometia wrote: I never got round to learning Python: I've often thought I should, or maybe Ruby,
Python is very much worth learning as a language for quick prototyping. It's trivial to learn - I was able to read and fully grok the most complex python project available at the time (twisted) within 48 hours of starting. I had a custom asynchronous, distributed soft-realtime monitoring system coded and working within 4 days. I say this as a C/asm coder, so coming from a similar background.

Bass

15 Sep 2018, 09:29

XMIT wrote:
I know I am late to the party and this is off topic but I couldn't help but chime in. My career primarily involves scientific computing so perhaps my perspective is a bit different from other software developers here, but I very much agree with this sentiment. The fact that it's still so prevalent even though there are many better alternatives now feels to me like a result of the lingering attachment to the JVM in enterprise applications. I especially dislike Java because I feel like it makes me waste too much of my development time writing needless boilerplate. I have seen it lead to wasteful habits on projects in other programming languages. For example in one of the python projects I am involved with, I noticed that there was a set of modules containing just one class, even though it's possible to define multiple classes in a single python file.

Since I do some big data analytics I also had a brief stint with Scala myself, and also didn't care for it too much. It fixes some of the verbosity issues with Java, but somehow it's even more needlessly complex. It very much strikes me as a language that was designed more for academics than actual production, but nevertheless it too has gained some traction thanks to its heavy use in big data frameworks on the JVM like Apache Spark. Above all else it feels somewhat clunky to use for any dataset that's more than two dimensional (something I must deal with all the time in my discipline area of earth science), which to me makes it far inferior to a language to Python which has very mature libraries like numpy and xarray for these use cases.

Fortran is still heavily used for scientific applications and high performance computing. In my field, this means most if not all weather forecasts are derived from the output of numerical models that were written in Fortran (90 or 77) as the prevailing attitude among scientists is that they generally feel content to use something that "just works", even if the code base is still ugly and (in some cases) decades old. In that sense, they aren't too different from us vintage keyboard enthusiasts who are fine with beige color schemes and large bezels rather than switching to a shiny, expensive newfangled custom! It's a stark contrast to some software developers on the other extreme who are willing to make their code backwards incompatible (ie, Python 2 vs 3) for the sake of "technical correctness" :lol:

Sangdrax

15 Sep 2018, 13:28

You're right about the Fortran thing in Earth Sciences. I had a guy teaching me Fortran in Advanced Hydro years ago for aquifer modelling who brought out his original code in a stack of punchcards from when he was a grad student. It was pretty clean and straightforward though, just an iterative matrix with some known points to calculate head in some wetlands.

Return to “Keyboards”