buckling spring type writers?

nickg

22 Oct 2018, 18:51

I finally tracked down an ibm selectric touch keyboard(model m 2), and i dont think any selectrics used a model m(or even f) as a keyboard I have heard rumblings about some ibm type writers using both model m and model f internally. Are there any? And can i use those key caps on my model f xt/at or model m ssk?

PlacaFromHell

22 Oct 2018, 19:00

The buckling spring typewriters are the wheelwriters. I remember a rare buckling spring keyboard from a thing between a computer and a typewriter that could be an F, but most (if not all) have model membrane model M keyboards. The keycaps are fully compatible with any other IBM buckling spring keyboard, the only change is that they are a bit more shiny but you will hardly notice it.

Selectrics are not buckling spring

Findecanor

22 Oct 2018, 20:35

IBM did reuse the old typewriter's brand name for the IBM M2. It says "Selectric Touch" on the box.

BTW. The IBM Selectric has keycaps on key arms that go into the internal mechanism and leaf springs for resistance if I remember correctly. The Selectric's keycaps are compatible with beam-spring keyboards, at least some combinations are.

Return to “Keyboards”