Questions about Hi-tek 725 switches and lubricants.

YellowSomething

17 Nov 2018, 02:31

So I got a well used and abused NMB RT8Z55C+, and due to the state it was in, the switches were very scratchy, as you can imagine. To try and make some key bind less and just overall improve the feel, I want to lubricate the switches. In looking around, I've been reading mixed things about the types of lubricant to use on these kinds of switches and such. I've been experimenting on the lesser used switches like the pause/break key, but before I settle on a lubricant, I'd like some second opinions.

So what I've read around on the internet is to not use wet lubricants on it, and with how open the switch design is, I can imagine why, but from others, they're using thinner switch lubricants that are advertised for cherry switches.
What are your guy's recommendations?
So far, I've tried a thin layer of Permatex dielectric bulb grease applied thinly to the slider around the spring, silicone oil applied both sparingly to the slider and one slider totally submerged, contact dividers cleaned, and put back together, one slightly wet and one dried. After breaking them in, the dielectric one seems the smoothest and even despite the higher viscosity of the grease, the switch weighting isn't really effected much if at all.

So in conclusion;
It may sound like I've found my answer, but using a somewhat "wet" lubricant like it on such an open switch worries me about longevity. Should I be concerned/is there another lubricant i should try?

And on the side, is there somewhere to get either salvaged/surplused/repro keycaps for 725 space invaders? I've not found much and I'm rather curious since the F9 keycap is missing from this board.
Last edited by YellowSomething on 17 Nov 2018, 03:36, edited 2 times in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

17 Nov 2018, 02:43

Paging Dr. TheInverseKey

YellowSomething

19 Nov 2018, 06:12

Yea, the posts I see about it always mention lube, but never what kind or anything, which is what's confusing me since i know not all switches function the same with certain lubes.

Pumaeggs

19 Nov 2018, 15:44

my lubricant of choice is "Finishline Extreme Fluro". it's just standard teflon grease but it's a good deal cheaper than most of the other name brand keyboard lubes and works just as well if not a little better thanks to the easy applicator nozzle. please please please dont use WD-40. please. I see people do it all the time and it makes me cringe. WD-40 will work short term but it evaporates and leaves a thin layer of this oily shit that acts like a dust magnet. but yeah anything teflon based will do you good for the most part.

here's a link to the finishline stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L ... UTF8&psc=1

YellowSomething

20 Nov 2018, 03:35

Pumaeggs wrote: my lubricant of choice is "Finishline Extreme Fluro". it's just standard teflon grease but it's a good deal cheaper than most of the other name brand keyboard lubes and works just as well if not a little better thanks to the easy applicator nozzle. please please please dont use WD-40. [snip...]
How does that compare to something like DuPont silicone Teflon lubricant? I know one's made for a specific purpose, but I've heard some alright things about it for Alps switches, but using it showed no results for me. Results didn't really change whether or not the lubricant was dry or still wet. Did I apply too little or something? Mind you, these switches seem pretty well used given how much unpleasantly was under the caps.
Also application's not really an issue with me, I usually brush on lubricants with a small brush or something alike.

Return to “Keyboards”