Wyse PCE Space Bar

njm

21 Nov 2018, 13:18

Hey guys, I recently purchased my first Wyse keyboard, a PCE (#840358-01) from '94. Overall I really like it, but the space bar seems a little loose & rattly to me. Here's a very quick sound test:
Just wondering whether that space bar sound is normal for this type of board, or whether there's something I could do to the stabilisers to tighten it up a bit?

stratokaster

21 Nov 2018, 14:46

As far as I remember, my PCE INT’L had a rather noisy spacebar as well

abrahamstechnology

21 Nov 2018, 15:56

Does the spacebar feel wobbly? If so, it may be the stabilizer mounts are cracked. If not, the stabilizer may just need a bit of lubricant.

zrrion

21 Nov 2018, 17:38

IIRC the stabilizer mounts for the space bar are clip in PCB mount while the rest are plate mount. This might be contributing if the stabs have come unclipped or something.

lucar

21 Nov 2018, 19:14

Hi,

I have 2 Wyse PCE and one Bull Questar that is just a Wyse keyboard rebranding.

Your spacebar is too noisy but it is quite normal in untouched Wyses.

The spacebar stabs are pcb mounted , I did Superlube them as I lubed the stabs at the spacebar joints.

My spacebars have the same noise of the rest of the keys.

Check it out at the end of my video here:
You might try to add an o-ring to the spacebar switch eventually.

Luca

njm

21 Nov 2018, 23:20

abrahamstechnology wrote: Does the spacebar feel wobbly? If so, it may be the stabilizer mounts are cracked. If not, the stabilizer may just need a bit of lubricant.
It does feel a little bit wobbly. I didn't notice any obvious cracks, but they do seem to roll quite a bit to the left. This is my first board with these PCB mount stabilisers, so wasn't sure if that was normal. Here are a couple of shots of the stabilisers.
IMG_4205.jpeg
IMG_4205.jpeg (945.57 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
IMG_4206.jpeg
IMG_4206.jpeg (940.2 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
lucar wrote: The spacebar stabs are pcb mounted , I did Superlube them as I lubed the stabs at the spacebar joints.
Great video Luca! Really interesting to see your restoration process. Hopefully my Wyse won't need quite as much work :) Thanks for the tip about Superlube, sounds like I should try that first.

abrahamstechnology

21 Nov 2018, 23:27

njm wrote:
abrahamstechnology wrote: Does the spacebar feel wobbly? If so, it may be the stabilizer mounts are cracked. If not, the stabilizer may just need a bit of lubricant.
It does feel a little bit wobbly. I didn't notice any obvious cracks, but they do seem to roll quite a bit to the left. This is my first board with these PCB mount stabilisers, so wasn't sure if that was normal. Here are a couple of shots of the stabilisers.
IMG_4205.jpeg
IMG_4206.jpeg
lucar wrote: The spacebar stabs are pcb mounted , I did Superlube them as I lubed the stabs at the spacebar joints.
Great video Luca! Really interesting to see your restoration process. Hopefully my Wyse won't need quite as much work :) Thanks for the tip about Superlube, sounds like I should try that first.
Check the keycap itself.

njm

21 Nov 2018, 23:46

abrahamstechnology wrote: Check the keycap itself.
Ah, right. The keycap looks fine, no cracks there.

abrahamstechnology

22 Nov 2018, 00:01

njm wrote:
abrahamstechnology wrote: Check the keycap itself.
Ah, right. The keycap looks fine, no cracks there.
Good, a bit of lubricant on the spacebar stabilizer mechanism and you'll be good to go.

njm

22 Nov 2018, 00:15

I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help!

Return to “Keyboards”