a wild IBM Model F appears...with a thai exclusive layout?!?

andrea-i

11 Dec 2018, 08:59

Scrolling reddit/mechanicalkeyboards I noticed this nice post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... _f_family/

And then something odd, look at this:
homs2w309e321.jpg
homs2w309e321.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 2674 times
Yes, thai keycaps, but also, how about those TWO keys on the left of the spacebar on the bigfoot???

What the heck, I'd have been so happy with my XT if it had that layout!

Maybe he's a member here?

Findecanor

11 Dec 2018, 09:23

BTW, check the Backspace key.

mcmaxmcmc

11 Dec 2018, 10:55

I don't know if he's in here but I do know him from a Thai FB group, so I asked for a picture of the whole keyboard.
Here it is. Image
Here's what a normal one looks like: Image
Last edited by mcmaxmcmc on 11 Dec 2018, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

Laser
emacs -nw

11 Dec 2018, 12:13

I wonder if the PCB of a "normal" Bigfoot supports changing to that "two keys" format? In the same way ISO and ANSI Model Ms can be modded from one to the other.

jeb

11 Dec 2018, 20:46

It'd have to be a different PCB--there'd have to be overlapping pads in order to support both a centered single key and two 1u keys. Along with the other differences, I just don't think there's that sort of compatibility.

There's also a different layout above the numpad, for the right shift area (1u + 1.5u, instead of the reverse) and, best of all, a full (ANSI) size stepped left shift. For when you want a big key, but don't mind taking a couple of tries to hit it.

Those are really cool keycaps, and a really interesting layout. Hopefully there's more information about this board somewhere.

hansichen

11 Dec 2018, 20:52

I guess there is not too much to say about this board. It seems to be specifically made for Asian languages, therefore the Thai and Latin keys which would be missing on other keyboards. These keys or functions are common on keyboard of that time and you still have them when typing on keyboard these days.

I wonder which other languages do exist. What about Chinese and other Asian languages? :D The world of IBM keycaps is so big and it feels like that many languages are not discovered/documented so far.

mcmaxmcmc

12 Dec 2018, 09:22

The owner is actually in DT; his name is bhatara007.

Here's the back label in case any of you's curious Image

Return to “Keyboards”