New design - adjustable split keyboard

hoggy

03 Mar 2012, 19:13

http://community.seas.columbia.edu/cslp ... s/view/439

Needs decent switches, otherwise not bad.

I like the use of cardboard in the prototype.

Findecanor

03 Mar 2012, 19:52

The curve of the keys in the sketch is convex, not concave/dished as in other "ergo" keyboards.
I think that the cardboard prototype is non-working. It looks like rubber dome keys just glued to the cardboard.

BTW, cardboard can have its uses. An inexpensive, but somewhat time consuming way to build prototypes of larger objects from a 3D model is to transform it into a flat paper model (using Pepakura Designer), print it on card stock, build the model and then reinforce it with resin/fiberglass.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Mar 2012, 21:00

Joy, a Safetype clone.

Icarium

03 Mar 2012, 22:20

It's adjustable so I'd probably call it more of comfortkeyboard clone. :)

nathanscribe

03 Mar 2012, 22:52

webwit wrote:a Safetype clone.
"Safe" because of the wing mirrors. You can see cyclists typing behind you just fine.

sordna

04 Mar 2012, 06:30

All of these are FAIL due to the staggered keys. A vertical keyboard is only viable if the keys are in straight columns. I had a vertical keyboard and I know.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Mar 2012, 19:03

sordna

27 Mar 2012, 03:40

Agree with the video. On the other hand, if you put 2 straight-column keyboards upright so simulate a vertical keyboard, you can type surprisingly well. I did it with 2 Kinesis Advantage and could immediately type at my full WPM without errors. 2 small POS matrix keyboards would be perfect for this kind of application.

huttala

27 Mar 2012, 16:04

What the hell? :o
That sure as hell doesn't look like anything I'd use.

Lustique

27 Mar 2012, 16:32

webwit wrote:
Perflipiskop? Sounds double Dutch to me. :D

But really, how could typing on something like this be considered desirable? I think I would get very heavy hands after some time.

Return to “Keyboards”