Soviet Model F clone with capacitive buckling springs

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

11 Mar 2019, 21:50

Wazrach wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 20:43
So it finally came, and it's a bit disappointing, I will say. The keycaps are super wobbly and the switches feel inconsistent. They also don't sound nearly as cool as the real deal. One thing is for sure though - the assembly is very much like a Model F, with XT-like barrels with the posts sticking through the barrel frame. There's also a foam mat, just like the real thing. I may not be able to get this working easily, but I'd definitely like to try putting IBM barrels and flippers inside. I'll be able to confirm after disassembling it whether or not this will work.

What do you guys think?

Well, I'm trying to show pictures, but of course it's not letting me attach images...
If I remember well, the flippers are almost identical. I readed good reviews about it, so maybe you need a new foam.

Wazrach

11 Mar 2019, 22:23

PlacaFromHell wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 21:50
Wazrach wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 20:43
So it finally came, and it's a bit disappointing, I will say. The keycaps are super wobbly and the switches feel inconsistent. They also don't sound nearly as cool as the real deal. One thing is for sure though - the assembly is very much like a Model F, with XT-like barrels with the posts sticking through the barrel frame. There's also a foam mat, just like the real thing. I may not be able to get this working easily, but I'd definitely like to try putting IBM barrels and flippers inside. I'll be able to confirm after disassembling it whether or not this will work.

What do you guys think?

Well, I'm trying to show pictures, but of course it's not letting me attach images...
If I remember well, the flippers are almost identical. I readed good reviews about it, so maybe you need a new foam.
I definitely need new foam. I opened it up to find the foam has turned into a sticky sludge. It is HORRIBLE. I have some 3mm automotive headliner I'd like to try. I will use the barrels and flippers from two Models F XT I own, as they appear to be compatible. This means I will also have to replace the keycaps with regular Model F keycaps. I don't know what I will do with the spacebar though. I think I will have to use a regular barrel where the original stabiliser is meant to go, and just use a Model M spacebar.

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

12 Mar 2019, 07:11

That plastic thing over the springs should work by the same way as the dots in the original IBM keycaps, right? Maybe you can put it over the original IBM flippers and use the soviet keycaps. Please, at least give it a try with the new foam just to be sure.

Wazrach

12 Mar 2019, 15:03

I tried the Soviet keycaps on IBM barrels, and they're incredibly wobbly.

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

12 Mar 2019, 16:17

And if you add the thing over the springs? Should be better

Wazrach

06 Jul 2019, 13:48

but... why THIS post?

User avatar
User101

06 Jul 2019, 13:51

Wazrach wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 13:48
but... why THIS post?
I am extremely confused as well

User avatar
vometia
irritant

06 Jul 2019, 16:33

alordi wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 21:21
I wouldn't recommend to use it for work!
The keyborard was made for pdp11 compatible computers DVK and Elektronika-85. In real life 4 from 12 new keyboard didn't work and others work unstable. Technically it's use LK201 interface.
That's quite interesting, and I'm especially liking the idea of a PDP-11 with a Model F! I know embarrassingly little about the '11 in spite of not only being an ex-DEC type but also my college lecturers being obsessed with their wonderfulness (I'm afraid I was more interested in the '10 and Vax systems) but the Soviets using them as the basis of their home computer systems really caught my interest. In a lot of ways more interesting to what we had in the West: I still remember the UK's extremely vibrant early '80s scene with a great deal of fondness, even though its numerous offerings included the awesome right down to the... well, not quite so awesome. But nothing quite like a PDP-11 from what I recall.
Wazrach wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 13:48
but... why THIS post?
Shurg. Must've had the right keywords to trigger their autospammer's interest.

Wazrach

06 Jul 2019, 16:41

That keyboard is in pieces, waiting to be tackled. I may restore it and put it up for sale. Problem is, the original keycaps and switches REALLY, REALLY suck. Maybe I can order special Russian keycaps from Unicomp and use actual IBM springs, flippers and barrels. Conversion is something else, I wouldn't know where to start.

User avatar
vometia
irritant

06 Jul 2019, 17:32

Is it really that bad? :( My only experience of genuine Soviet stuff was pretty much my Zenit camera in my teens and it was very solid and well-made. It would've been awesome if not for somebody deciding that the best material to make its innards with was highly reflective plastic: I mean good quality plastic, but it could've done with something a bit... oh y'know, less likely to put random mirror images on yer film. On the other hand, I still have its standard lens kicking about and it's as good as anything I own when paired up with a digital camera.

Wazrach

06 Jul 2019, 17:41

vometia wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 17:32
Is it really that bad? :( My only experience of genuine Soviet stuff was pretty much my Zenit camera in my teens and it was very solid and well-made. It would've been awesome if not for somebody deciding that the best material to make its innards with was highly reflective plastic: I mean good quality plastic, but it could've done with something a bit... oh y'know, less likely to put random mirror images on yer film. On the other hand, I still have its standard lens kicking about and it's as good as anything I own when paired up with a digital camera.
I was expecting it to be pretty good, but no. The key feel was scratchy and inconsistent, keycaps were extremely wobbly... yeugh. Sound was bad as well. Hopefully I can fix that.

Wazrach

06 Jul 2019, 17:51

The spacebar is going to be a bitch. The original thing is a non-standard size - slightly smaller than the XT Model F spacebar. I could use a Model M spacebar and leave an ugly gap, but the XT's barrels posts prevent spacebar wires, unlike the AT's which stick out the side.

alordi

07 Jul 2019, 21:41

Wazrach wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 16:41
Problem is, the original keycaps and switches REALLY, REALLY suck.
I have told you :D
There are many things didn’t work from fabric in the Soviet Union, and we didn’t replace or return these, had warranty repairs only.

User avatar
vometia
irritant

08 Jul 2019, 05:58

alordi wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 21:41
I have told you :D
There are many things didn’t work from fabric in the Soviet Union, and we didn’t replace or return these, had warranty repairs only.
I'm reminded of the apple-cutting machine joke from the recent Chernobyl mini-series...

MMcM

31 Dec 2020, 03:19

Believe it or not, the missing cable goes to DIN-5, but implementing the LK201 protocol and not the XT one.
elektronika-ms-7004-cable.jpg
elektronika-ms-7004-cable.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 421 times
More here.

Soqelye

31 Dec 2020, 05:54

SneakyRobb wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 20:59
I found at least a sort of sound bite of the sound.

https://youtu.be/UflBWphiPoA?t=141

Sounds pretty familiar...

http://www.leningrad.su/museum/show_calc.php?n=241

From one of these computers
Small world in the link below. Seems to be people organizing a group (collective in Russia?) buy of a small board to convert such boards to modern use.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... 6NfH30XsuA

*wait got that backwards on converter

Although if they have a usb keyboard converter.. I am intrigued that maybe someone there made their own capsense converter
I from Russia and buy for everyone if u want :)

User avatar
SneakyRobb
THINK

09 Jan 2021, 23:14

Soqelye wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 05:54
SneakyRobb wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 20:59
I found at least a sort of sound bite of the sound.

https://youtu.be/UflBWphiPoA?t=141

Sounds pretty familiar...

http://www.leningrad.su/museum/show_calc.php?n=241

From one of these computers
Small world in the link below. Seems to be people organizing a group (collective in Russia?) buy of a small board to convert such boards to modern use.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... 6NfH30XsuA

*wait got that backwards on converter

Although if they have a usb keyboard converter.. I am intrigued that maybe someone there made their own capsense converter
I from Russia and buy for everyone if u want :)
Hi interesting. Do you have access to ICE Model F clones as well?

mindgame

10 Jan 2021, 00:09

Electronica 7004/7007 is way worse than even Model M. That's bad clone tbh.

headphone_jack

10 Jan 2021, 23:57

I just bought one of these NOS. It has the missing cable pictured as well as an operation manual. Hopefully I can convert it with this cable, as it should be trivial if it indeed uses the LK201 protocol. It also has a different case, in a light color rather than the dark color of this one. Hopefully the switches feel better than described here, I might attempt mods to stabilize the keycaps more.

Soqelye

11 Jan 2021, 13:59

SneakyRobb wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 23:14
Soqelye wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 05:54
SneakyRobb wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 20:59
I found at least a sort of sound bite of the sound.

https://youtu.be/UflBWphiPoA?t=141

Sounds pretty familiar...

http://www.leningrad.su/museum/show_calc.php?n=241

From one of these computers
Small world in the link below. Seems to be people organizing a group (collective in Russia?) buy of a small board to convert such boards to modern use.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... 6NfH30XsuA

*wait got that backwards on converter

Although if they have a usb keyboard converter.. I am intrigued that maybe someone there made their own capsense converter
I from Russia and buy for everyone if u want :)
Hi interesting. Do you have access to ICE Model F clones as well?
Yes, there are, I can buy them for you.

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”