Fixing Dead Omnikey 102

gmiller2701

18 Apr 2019, 17:33

I restored the physical aspects of an old Omnikey I got off ebay a while ago (white alps for those curious), and have finally had the chance to sit down with it and try getting it to talk to my computer. I bought a male to male ps/2 cable and an active ps/2 to usb converter (the controller has a ps/2 port soldered onto it).

No matter how many dip switch combinations I try, no matter how many times I restart my computer and cold or hot plug the converter, nothing responds. No lock lights, no key presses, nothing.

So my question is, which of these sounds like the best option:
Do I try another converter?
Do I wire a ps/2 cable right into the keyboard controller?
Do I somehow intercept the ribbon cable from the main pcb and wire that to a different controller like a teensy (or something bigger to account for all the wires)?
Do I scrap all of the boards and just handwire it?

I would like to still use a ps/2 cable out of the keyboard because I want to coil it and have that aesthetic, but if I have to cut my losses and handwire it to usb, so be it.

fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Apr 2019, 23:54

Not all male-to-male mini-DIN cables have 4 or more active wires.

I once had one with with only 3 pins actually live and it was driving me crazy on a Northgate.
Test your continuity before you worry about anything else.

gmiller2701

20 Apr 2019, 06:04

I'm not the most skilled at this; what do you mean by test the continuity?

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

20 Apr 2019, 06:54

Ps/2 should have all dip switches off. I’ve come across a ton of omnikeys but have never come across one that is completely unresponsive. How bad of shape was it in?

swampangel

20 Apr 2019, 17:09

gmiller2701 wrote:
Use a $10 continuity tester, or a multimeter set to the right mode. Touch pin 1 on one end of the cable and the same pin on the other end of the cable. If they are connected and electric current can pass through, your tester will beep. Repeat for all pins.

gmiller2701

22 Apr 2019, 02:54

It wasn't in bad condition, merely physical. I wanted to touch up the dirt on everything, clean the caps, and I desoldered and resoldered all the switches after cleaning and lubing them.

I tried it again with all the dips down and up, still nothing though. Looks like I'll have to go out and buy a multimeter.

gmiller2701

22 Apr 2019, 02:55

swampangel wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 17:09
gmiller2701 wrote:
Use a $10 continuity tester, or a multimeter set to the right mode. Touch pin 1 on one end of the cable and the same pin on the other end of the cable. If they are connected and electric current can pass through, your tester will beep. Repeat for all pins.
Looks like this is my route for now. Will keep updated.

Return to “Keyboards”