Strange Finds

lhutton

29 May 2019, 20:05

I'm just curious, what sort of bizarre, poorly thought out or just plain WTF keyboard or input devices have others on here found in their searching for keyboards? Not really looking for normally functioning but ugly keyboards (there's another thread for that). I had this show up in a recent eBay search with prompted me to start a thread here. Numpad mouse is a new one for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Number-Key ... SwT89cUINX

Edit: archive link for then the eBay auction ends. http://archive.fo/99O72
Last edited by lhutton on 29 May 2019, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

29 May 2019, 20:42

I have a small collection of oddities. I'll grab that box tonight and take some pictures.

I'd say gain's pen keyboard is pretty unique.

depletedvespene

29 May 2019, 20:59

It is pretty difficult to one-up a numpad mouse, that's for sure! (and a new one for me, too)

Until I saw this thread and opened that link, my top contenders were the gamer keypads that are just a lazy chopping of the left half of a keyboard, without any thought as to how that basic layout could be improved upon if it is indeed expected to be used with just the left hand while gaming.

Wazrach

29 May 2019, 21:03

:)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 1942 times

lhutton

29 May 2019, 21:23

I wonder how much shipping would be to send the numpad mouse for Chyros for a review ....

Findecanor

29 May 2019, 22:35

Last month, I went looking and found five different makes of numpad-mice (not just brands) without breaking a sweat.

I have got images of 21 types of gaming keypads in my image collection, although a bunch of those are really for consoles and not computers.
The big draw for computer gaming is that you could move the mouse closer. Several also have a thumbstick or thumbpad and a couple also have a scrollwheel.
(I got interested after a pair of Saitek Cyborg/Pro Gamer had been spotted in a Resident Evil movie as an ergonomic keyboard.)

Recently I acquired early versions of a Swiftpoint and a Penclic for my collection.
The Swiftpoint is a really small mouse, for laptop users, and with a different grip and scrollwheel than the norm. The Penclic is a pen on a hinge jutting out of a small mouse, and the first-generation one I got is clicked by pressing the pen downward, which is really awkward.
Last edited by Findecanor on 30 May 2019, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.

lhutton

30 May 2019, 06:20

Findecanor wrote:
Last month, I went looking and found five different makes of numpad-mice (not just brands) without breaking a sweat.
That only raises the question of who in the world is buying those things? I'd never seen one before myself. My only guess would be laptop users that lack a numpad and a mouse but this seems like a terrible solution to both ...

SneakyRobb
THINK

30 May 2019, 16:25

lhutton wrote:
30 May 2019, 06:20
Findecanor wrote:
That only raises the question of who in the world is buying those things? I'd never seen one before myself. My only guess would be laptop users that lack a numpad and a mouse but this seems like a terrible solution to both ...
I feel like people who use excel, but who don't navigate well in it with keyboard commands buy these. Like instead of being superpro and keyboard navigating they must be moving the mouse around to various columns and then going over to the number row, then hand back to the mouse. So this "solves" that problem.

Regardless I would probably constantly be accidentally hitting keys

Return to “Keyboards”