Need help designing the top part of a case

mannoso

16 Jun 2019, 20:16

Hello. Since I don't like the floating key design of my Wooting One, I'm thinking about having a sheet of acrylic cut to measure to place on top of the plate.
The problem is that I have no clue on how to design one so I was hoping someone who knows how to use cad software can make one for me. Of course I don't expect it to be made for free.

Thanks.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Jun 2019, 21:18

are you sure you can actually fit the acrylic sheet on the wooting?

mannoso

16 Jun 2019, 22:32

matt3o wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 21:18
are you sure you can actually fit the acrylic sheet on the wooting?
Yes, I think it would fit. Basically I was thinking to something like the top part of a sandwich style case. There's kits available for sale online but I'm not sure the spacing between the different sections of the keyboard is compatible, since there's no standars afaik.

Findecanor

17 Jun 2019, 00:12

Laser-cut acrylic is always flat but the Wooting One has a sloping front with the slope starting right in front of the space bar. A laser-cutter cuts always perpendicular to the acrylic's surface — it does not do sloped cuts.
This means that as one piece the acrylic sheet would either jut out over the front or not cover the front row of keys. You would have to make two parts, file the mating edges carefully by hand and glue them together carefully, followed by { putty, primer, sanding, repeat as many times necessary } and paint.
However, fit could still be difficult to get just right as there are differences in kerf even between different laser-cutters.

I am definitely not a fan of floating keys either, but IMHO the Wooting One far from the worst keyboard out there with a floating design. For one thing, the RGB backlighting does not bleed all over the place and the plate surface is sandblasted and anodised to a nice finish.
I have a Wooting One and I suppose I have the CAD and assembly skills, so that I could do it for you, but it wouldn't be cost-effective and possibly look worse only because getting a matching surface finish could be difficult.

Return to “Keyboards”