IBM model F XT not working suddenly

Darkshado

21 Nov 2019, 14:01

Take pictures from several angles, the description alone makes it difficult to understand what the problem could be.

kmnov2017

21 Nov 2019, 14:26

From what I understood from your post - your keyboard is unresponsive even after switching two different soarer's converters. The keyboard did work before you mention.

So first of all stop disassembling the keyboard and putting it back on. That's not the problem. You only risk destroying the flippers if you aren't careful. From what I gather, you've already destroyed three.

Your problem is either with the Soarers converter on the native controller on the board itself. The soarers converter can be tested with any other keyboard. Any keyboard with a large DIN connector may be used to test the soarers converter. If this test keyboard works, the soarers converter is fine. If I understood you right, you mention that the soarers converter is being recognized in device manager - in that case its almost definitely not the problem.

If there's a problem with the original controller, identifying the part that's defective is going to take some work. If you don't have a background in electronics (I am assuming you dont, otherwise you'd have just made your own soarers converter), this is going to be a challenge. It could be a capacaitor that's gone bad. You can't test this with a multimeter either. The capacitors will have to be removed from the board in order to test them.

Replacement controllers are difficult to find, though there maybe some one who's selling on DT, ask around. The only other cheaper option is to replace the controller with a cypress CY8CKIT-059 (Costs about 20 euros in Europe). But this requires quite a bit of soldering, programming and patience. The other option is an Xwhatsit controller - but I haven't seen these being sold in a while and they are expensive.

I see that you've already spent a princely sum for an XT plus two soarers converters. Weigh your options on how you want to proceed.

Kashtan

02 Dec 2019, 16:34

kmnov2017 wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 14:26
From what I understood from your post - your keyboard is unresponsive even after switching two different soarer's converters. The keyboard did work before you mention.

So first of all stop disassembling the keyboard and putting it back on. That's not the problem. You only risk destroying the flippers if you aren't careful. From what I gather, you've already destroyed three.

Your problem is either with the Soarers converter on the native controller on the board itself. The soarers converter can be tested with any other keyboard. Any keyboard with a large DIN connector may be used to test the soarers converter. If this test keyboard works, the soarers converter is fine. If I understood you right, you mention that the soarers converter is being recognized in device manager - in that case its almost definitely not the problem.

If there's a problem with the original controller, identifying the part that's defective is going to take some work. If you don't have a background in electronics (I am assuming you dont, otherwise you'd have just made your own soarers converter), this is going to be a challenge. It could be a capacaitor that's gone bad. You can't test this with a multimeter either. The capacitors will have to be removed from the board in order to test them.

Replacement controllers are difficult to find, though there maybe some one who's selling on DT, ask around. The only other cheaper option is to replace the controller with a cypress CY8CKIT-059 (Costs about 20 euros in Europe). But this requires quite a bit of soldering, programming and patience. The other option is an Xwhatsit controller - but I haven't seen these being sold in a while and they are expensive.

I see that you've already spent a princely sum for an XT plus two soarers converters. Weigh your options on how you want to proceed.
Thank you very much for extended answer.
My first converter, from the Philippines, which I returned, according to the seller, was also a worker.
He typed my answer from the keyboard connected to my converter, according to him.
My current converter, from another seller, from the USA, is determined by a computer.
Moreover, the third converter is also coming to me!
But something tells me that this is not a converter.
Yes, I searched, there are no controllers.
And quite rightly, it cost me too much, and a lot of nerves.
I have not had such an unsuccessful purchase.
Not a single master takes care of repairs.
I guess I'll look for a controller, or create a topic about buying it.
If I don’t buy, I won’t be surprised anymore -
I will buy Chinese consumer goods, with silver low profile cherry.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Return to “Keyboards”