Alps restoration guide

NeK

31 Mar 2020, 11:54

Raumfahrer wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 10:55
NeK wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 20:40
Just wanted to add that I may have come close to a really important observation. Smoothing and polishing the housing rails and the slider rails seems to be more important regardless of the lubricant.

Will get back with more results.
hi, interesting observation here -
What is the method by which you do this?
By finding which rails are rough using a metal pin's tip and then sanding them manually with high-grit sandpaper until they are very smooth. I plan on making a post about this with more details and a guide.

Fkazim

31 Mar 2020, 13:51

I have a blue ALPS keyboard and it feels great apart from a few switches have a very soft click. How can i go about making these switches have the same click as all the other switches?

Thanks.

Raumfahrer

31 Mar 2020, 15:21

NeK wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 11:54
Raumfahrer wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 10:55
NeK wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 20:40
Just wanted to add that I may have come close to a really important observation. Smoothing and polishing the housing rails and the slider rails seems to be more important regardless of the lubricant.

Will get back with more results.
hi, interesting observation here -
What is the method by which you do this?
By finding which rails are rough using a metal pin's tip and then sanding them manually with high-grit sandpaper until they are very smooth. I plan on making a post about this with more details and a guide.
very curious, I will wait for your post!

NeK

31 Mar 2020, 15:40

Fkazim wrote:
I have a blue ALPS keyboard and it feels great apart from a few switches have a very soft click. How can i go about making these switches have the same click as all the other switches?

Thanks.
you should take them apart and bent the click leaf a bit. Be sure to check out the videos of chyros in the first post, it has a video guide on how to do that.

Fkazim

31 Mar 2020, 16:10

NeK wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 15:40
Fkazim wrote:

Thanks.
you should take them apart and bent the click leaf a bit. Be sure to check out the videos of chyros in the first post, it has a video guide on how to do that.
OK will check that out thanks for letting me know.

browncow

02 Apr 2020, 23:20

Hello, just registered on deskthority after some time lurking around. about 2 weeks ago or such i have spent about three days cleaning and lubing every switch on my fk2002, before that it was HORRIBLE, my friend actually bought that board but didn't use it because it was that bad. I used just a little bit of bearing grease (lithum based) and so far its great.
20190306_131525.jpg
20190306_131525.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 2039 times

mode1ace

19 Apr 2020, 15:14

I'd love to see an experiment with a few lubes applied to a wide variety of alps sliders.

I don't lube 1st gen alps as It just doesn't work at all, but I do lube short switchplate alps sliders as I find that works well.

codemonkeymike

23 Apr 2020, 04:28

I have had good results from PTFE suspension, I found the trick to be very little on the slider only in the location were you see the rub marks from the contact. This was on Green Alps. On my Blue Alps they were in better condition so just running the housing through ultra sonic, cleaning the contact metal with isopropyl, and cleaning the slider that comes in contact with the housing with isopropyl while leaving the original lube in place gave me great results.

Return to “Keyboards”