"Pine-ify" neon green alps?

j0Ni

19 Nov 2019, 16:37

Hey there!

I have a question or two about neon green alps, specifically the difference between the pine and the bamboo versions.

I managed to get a hold of a board with the bamboo version of the neon green alps, which was in okey-ish condition. I haven't really done a full clean of it yet, but I think I have a pretty good feel for how they are.
Now for my question. I have a batch of not-so-great white alps of the pine variant. I thought it was only the housing that differed on the pine and bamboo versions, so I threw 4 of the top-housings from the white alps in the ultra sonic cleaner and tried them on the neon green alps. Now, granted, the whites are not in the absolute best condition, but even so I feel like I should notice a bigger difference between the neon greens with the bamboo top housing and the pine top housing. The difference is barely noticeable, and if I do feel any difference its NOT what people usually say, more tactile. If anything they felt a bit more light, or maybe a bit more smooth (well, sort of). Are there any more parts that differ between the pine and bamboo versions than just the housing? I only changed the top housing, could the bottom make a bigger difference? Is it the springs? Surely the sliders and tactile leafs are the same?

I do like the feel of the bamboo version, it's just that I would like a touch more of a "bump", I feel like they somewhat lack the "snappy-ness" of the skcm brown, which I also own. And while the browns are way to heavy, the feel of the tacilte bump is much more satisfying than on the (bamboo) neon greens.

Thank you for your time.

cli

19 Nov 2019, 16:56

The effect of swapping housing with slits is not very big with tactile switches.
You can try papermodding the switch, I noticed a bit more tactility with my Alps black bamboo and orange switches.

j0Ni

19 Nov 2019, 19:24

cli wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 16:56
The effect of swapping housing with slits is not very big with tactile switches.
You can try papermodding the switch, I noticed a bit more tactility with my Alps black bamboo and orange switches.
That is my experience as well. However, based on what people say, there should be a lot more difference between pine/Bamboo when it comes to SKCM (neon) green. Don't know how they could be so different.

cli

19 Nov 2019, 20:27

j0Ni wrote:
That is my experience as well. However, based on what people say, there should be a lot more difference between pine/Bamboo when it comes to SKCM (neon) green. Don't know how they could be so different.

Well, IMO Pine clicky switches are much better than Bamboo clicky switches, but with tactile switches there is not much difference.
I tested the other way, I used some orange switches and replaced the housing with slits with Alps white bamboo housing. It was hard to tell which was better

swampangel

19 Nov 2019, 20:28

j0Ni wrote:
I feel like there's a certain amount of mysticism around alps switches.

I've got NOS pine skcm whites, NOS bamboo skcm whites, and lightly-used Forward skbm whites, and you can tell they're different but they're not hugely different. I'd pick the Forward switches over the heavily used skcm whites from my Acer 6011.

Plus, people will often compare vintage boards with different chassis and keycaps, or compare just a few switches vs a full board.

imo you just have to decide if they're good enough for you. But if there's a particular post describing the difference, drop a link and maybe someone here can guess why you're not getting the same result.

cli

19 Nov 2019, 20:59

Hi,
I think j0nI and me are not comparing different switches, we are trying to determine wether tactile switches with Pine housing are better then the same tactile switches with Bamboo housing.

j0Ni

19 Nov 2019, 21:24

swampangel wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 20:28
j0Ni wrote:
I feel like there's a certain amount of mysticism around alps switches.

I've got NOS pine skcm whites, NOS bamboo skcm whites, and lightly-used Forward skbm whites, and you can tell they're different but they're not hugely different. I'd pick the Forward switches over the heavily used skcm whites from my Acer 6011.

Plus, people will often compare vintage boards with different chassis and keycaps, or compare just a few switches vs a full board.

imo you just have to decide if they're good enough for you. But if there's a particular post describing the difference, drop a link and maybe someone here can guess why you're not getting the same result.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45456.1650 - In E3E:s answer a bit down here, he says:
Pine SKCM Green feels sooo similar to SKCM Brown to me, but Brown is a bit stiffer. Still, I think if you had people sit down with both Xerox boards, the 6085 (with brown) and the Docutech (with pine), I think that they wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. They are that similar, imo.
Which is a bit far from my experience with the bamboo version. And also, in chyrsosran's review he mentions this around the 5:30 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7aKpzMmaUw&t=407s

From these examples, as well as some other forum post I cant seem to find, it seems that the difference should be much more noticeable. It would be great if we could get someone that has felt both in here, like E3E or Chyros.

Return to “Keyboards”