I'm looking for IBM model F clear key-caps

Clément 2000

12 Dec 2019, 22:17

Hi all,
I Have a battleship I recently bought and like to replace the F1 to F24 keys, the keys on the left, and the nav keys (39 keys in total) with clear/transparent key-caps to put the legend I want and change them at anytime.
I'd also like to replace some other keys because they don't fit the modern French layout (such as the keys on the top row and the 6 keys on top of the arrow keys, and also some of the numpad keys)
I contacted Unicomp, and they told me they don't make either two part key-caps or transparent key-caps anymore.
I'm very embarrassed now because I don't know where I can get customized or transparent top parts of two part key-caps.

Does anyone has an idea ?

Fkazim

13 Dec 2019, 11:39

You can get some here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-transpar ... SwKEFbzX4J

Hope that helps.

Clément 2000

13 Dec 2019, 19:17

Thanks for your reply.

He doesn't seem to have more than 10 of those.
And I would need at least about 40 of them.

JP!

13 Dec 2019, 19:43

Fentek still makes some high quality clear key caps for Model M's. These are actually preferable as vintage ones tend to have some yellowing and can be hard to come by but these high quality replacements are not cheap if ordering a large quantity.

10 pack is $17.50 so for 40 key caps that brings you to at least $70 USD + shipping from the US.

https://www.fentek-ind.com/keys.htm#.XfPbA1w3mMo

Clément 2000

13 Dec 2019, 23:42

Wow ! Thank you.
They look amazing !
But they are bloody hell expensive ! That's almost the price I payed for my F122 (only 100€)...
Then, I wouldn't order more than 20 clear caps.

Do you know where I can buy a full custom keyset (just the caps, not the stems) ? I'll check again Unicomp's reply about their caps because English Is not my native language, so I may have misinterpreted what they said.

Edit : I was right, here's what Unicomp replied :
Greetings, Clément. . .

1. We do not have transparent keys.

2. We do not have the keys with the the metal bale available.

3. Our keys are are one-piece keys. . . the cap and stem keys are no longer available.
Are their caps still worth buying despite they are single piece ones ?

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Dec 2019, 16:05

Some people prefer 1-piece keys, they are considered more solid and vibration-free. There is no structural reason not to use them, it just makes swapping caps a little more difficult.

I haven't bought from Unicomp in a few years, does anyone know whether they are saying that colored caps now come with integral stems?

Return to “Keyboards”