Looking for long key-travel + clicky/tactile switch recommendations

Quizerno

09 Feb 2020, 07:26

When not an a laptop I currently use a custom Clicky White Alps (SKCM) keyboard that I built. I'm looking to build another keyboard, but I would like some recommendations on key switches.

I really like the keytravel of the White Alps (3.5mm according to here), so after trying a beam spring, a reed board, and clicky fujitsu leaf springs, I'm wondering if there are other switches I can try that might offer more key travel.

I like clicky, but not clicky on the level of MX Blues, I do enjoy the sound of Buckling springs, the Clicky White Alps, and Space Invaders.

I go for tactile feeling, but I don't think I've explored enough, I just got my hands on tokai mm9 clones (Sanwa 68) and while I believe they are tactile, I think their key travel is rather short.

Any recommendations?

squizzler

10 Feb 2020, 10:29

If you have tried various switch designs then just pick one that works for you, you are asking us to decide what can only feel right subjectively for you.

As for key travel, if this is the most important to you then 4 mm is that of the classic Cherrry range and seems to be pretty much the maximum that is available these days. Kailh click bars - which might otherwise be a desirable option - are about 3.5mm AFAIK.

Reading between the lines I think you seek something old school in action but practical to get hold of and use in the current day. Might I suggest the Unicomp or maybe that reproduction IBM if you really wanted to treat yourself?

Findecanor

10 Feb 2020, 10:57

Vintage Amber Omron B3G-S might be to your liking feel-wise, but the B3G-S are apparently difficult to scavenge and build with: fragile and wedged in-between plate and PCB.

zrrion

10 Feb 2020, 22:03

If you can get ahold of a royal/triumph typewriter with M9s, those have ~5mm of travel.

Quizerno

11 Feb 2020, 03:38

squizzler wrote:
If you have tried various switch designs then just pick one that works for you, you are asking us to decide what can only feel right subjectively for you.
Well rather than try everything, I figured it would be good to know what objectively has longer key travel. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
squizzler wrote:

As for key travel, if this is the most important to you then 4 mm is that of the classic Cherrry range and seems to be pretty much the maximum that is available these days. Kailh click bars - which might otherwise be a desirable option - are about 3.5mm AFAIK.
By coincidence, today I had a chance to try some Vintage Cherry MX blacks; and despite not usually being a fan of linears, I did like the keytravel. So you might be right on the money.
squizzler wrote:
Reading between the lines I think you seek something old school in action but practical to get hold of and use in the current day. Might I suggest the Unicomp or maybe that reproduction IBM if you really wanted to treat yourself?
Well I'm looking to build or mod something, I do have a Model M I use at my desktop and it is grand, but doesn't satisfy the itch I'm craving.
zrrion wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 22:03
If you can get ahold of a royal/triumph typewriter with M9s, those have ~5mm of travel.
Good to know! The wiki doesn't mention that. I'll keep an eye out.
Findecanor wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 10:57
Vintage Amber Omron B3G-S might be to your liking feel-wise, but the B3G-S are apparently difficult to scavenge and build with: fragile and wedged in-between plate and PCB.
Good lord that looks like it would be arduous and fun to try but I'd feel absolutely terrible breaking a working board.

Return to “Keyboards”