Maxi Switch dome with slider conversion

kralcifer

16 Feb 2020, 20:58

Hi all,

I have a maxi switch dome with slider keyboard that I like the case and plate. I want to try to replace the innards with Cherry MX and/or Alps.

This will be my first attempt at such a thing.

I thought I'd be diving into making a PCB, KiCAD, etc. but I think that's starting backwards. So then I thought the first thing I would want would be a plate mount. I could then hard wire switches or build a PCB.

But it looks like I first have to solve the issue of what will fit in the space that I have inside the keyboard. So the keyboard has bottom case cover, steel plate, membrane, then plastic plate that held the sliders over the domes, then top case cover.

How do I calculate what I have room for? It seems like ideally I would need to fit it in the room that the plastic plate takes up which is only 3mm-4mm high. Anyone have prior experience and advice on ways I can solve the problems to achieve what I want? Any forums to discuss with people that have similar projects?

If I didn't want the 4mm constraint I could possibly make plates for each cutout are within the top case cover and screw them on to the bottom plate with room for PCB underneath.

Here's some photos of what I'm working with:

Thanks,

Kralcifer

kralcifer

18 Feb 2020, 04:30

I did my layout at keyboard-layout-editor and loaded it into builder.swillkb.com and submitted an order to lasergist for a $34 mx plate. Hopefully that'll be a good starting point.

bbbenster

30 Jan 2021, 18:09

Did you ever get this to work? I'm interested in doing a similar thing.

Return to “Keyboards”