Model M Ctrl+C not working

zippolupan

10 Mar 2020, 15:25

Hi friends,

First post here -- although I've been lurking around for a while :)

I recently acquired a 1991 1391406 Model M. It was very dirty, so I spent a good 4 hours looking after it and restoring to a very good condition. Luckily it doesn't have a single scratch and the keys are perfect. Looks mint now!

I tested all the keys individually and they work perfectly well. I decided to use it for a few days and realised that the Ctrl+C combination wasn't working, which is annoying. Both keys register perfectly when pressed individually. Other combinations such as Ctrl+X, Shift+C, Alt+C also work without any issues. Combinations that don't work include Ctrl+D, Ctrl+E, Ctrl+F2, Ctrl+F3, which leads me to believe that there is something wrong with that membrane row. When Ctrl+C is pressed, only Ctrl registers and fires normally.

However, I don't want to do something as invasive as a bolt mod for now, especially because this particular one still has all its plastic rivets holding strong, which is surprising to me.

Did anyone ever deal with something similar?

Weezer

10 Mar 2020, 16:52

Sounds like theres probably some dust or corrosion on the traces of the membrane. Does caps lock work when E d c f2 f3 or f4 are pressed?
Last edited by Weezer on 10 Mar 2020, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Aran.E99

10 Mar 2020, 17:29

Definitely sounds like a membrane issue. Double check that the ribbon connector/header isn't corroded as this will most likely cause issues.

zippolupan

10 Mar 2020, 21:43

Problem solved. F2's spring was slightly out of place. Adjusted it now and it all works fine. Apparently it was preventing it from registering anything else on the same row. :)

Weezer

11 Mar 2020, 14:16

Great! Glad you got it worked out. :)

Return to “Keyboards”