Do 'flat' or low profile keycaps exist for IBM buckling spring?

robo

03 Apr 2020, 17:28

Question relates to Ellipse's Model-F project, and the F77 in particular (which I have on order...)

I realize that I often use the gap between the arrow keys and the block above it to orient my hand for using either, on my current boards.
Purple keys could be lower profile, maybe 'flat'.
Purple keys could be lower profile, maybe 'flat'.
keys.jpg (26.92 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
The F77 has this block filled completely, with an extra 5 keys, and in theory having more keys is handy, but I was thinking that if there were low profile keys that could be put in those five purple spots, you'd get the benefit of tactile orientation as well as having the extra keys.

Do any keycaps like this exist for IBM buckling spring?

Twst

03 Apr 2020, 18:40

If you don't need the extra keys, you could always remove the keys and barrels in these positions giving you the clearence you want.

Other than that, the flattest and most low profile bs caps must be the model m two piece caps running with the hat off.

Took out some caps to give you an example
On a Model F it will look like this:
overviewm.jpg
overviewm.jpg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 1685 times
modelmcaps.jpg
modelmcaps.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 1685 times
"Flatness" is seen here:
profileview.jpg
profileview.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 1685 times
Normal as reference;
overviewf.jpg
overviewf.jpg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 1685 times

SneakyRobb
THINK

04 Apr 2020, 02:48

Twst wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 18:40
If you don't need the extra keys, you could always remove the keys and barrels in these positions giving you the clearence you want.

Other than that, the flattest and most low profile bs caps must be the model m two piece caps running with the hat off.

Took out some caps to give you an example
On a Model F it will look like this:
overviewm.jpg
modelmcaps.jpg

"Flatness" is seen here:
profileview.jpg

Normal as reference;
overviewf.jpg

Hi agree. On BS keycaps the plastic is basically connected all at the "top," there basically is no room to reduce the height aside from the model m overcap reduction.

Rauha

04 Apr 2020, 21:08

Two part BS keycaps are slightly taller than single piece ones. The difference is really small, something like 1mm or so. One of the (many) reasons why single piece Unicomp pearl alphanumericals cannot be used to replace missing keys on older IBM Model Fs and Ms.

I mean something like using single piece keycaps for the arrow keys and two piece ones for others, or the other way round. Not sure if that would be big enough difference in profile for you, but I certainly clearly notice the difference with my fingertips when typing with mixed 1 piece and 2 piece alphanumericals. Learned it the tough way by trying to turn USA layout Model M into finnish/swedish layout simply by ordering the different keycaps from Unicomp, and then getting extremly frustrated with the height difference on those keys.

EDIT: IBM Wheelwriter single piece keycaps are exception for the rule. Actually as tall as two piece ones, or at least the ones I have are.

robo

05 Apr 2020, 19:25

Thanks for the replies and the photographic example Twst!

Yeah, that makes sense about the full keycap height being needed for the mechanism. Good to know about the height difference with 2 vs 1 piece caps. Maybe I'll see if i can live with the full block of keys for starters.

Return to “Keyboards”