Help cleaning F 107 pcb

ddrfraser1

10 Apr 2020, 22:25

I recently got an F 107 off Orhialcon, you know, IBMs'R'US, and a few of the keys don't register. I'm doing a restore job on it and I figured the problem was just dust getting in between the flipper feet and the capacitive plates and would be solved with a quick wipe and clean of the pcb. Normally my go to for this would be isopropyl alcohol. However, given that the world is ending whilst we continue blissfully on in our hobby, everyone seems to be using it as an ingredient to make hand sanitizer and I can't get a hold of the stuff.

SO, does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative? The dust is the easy part but I just want to make sure it gets a thorough clean before I put it all back together.

Fkazim

10 Apr 2020, 22:31

Maybe try get your hands on some acetone. Not sure if it will damage the PCB. Maybe someone could chime in on how safe it would be to use on PCB's

SneakyRobb
THINK

11 Apr 2020, 00:09

Hi,

I would use wet paper towels to wipe down the pcb. Try this a few times There is not much need to use alcohol to wipe down model f pcb in general. The switch assembly in general keeps all the dust and goo off of the capacitive pads.

While gross, this means that most of the contamination inside doesn't actually get onto the pads. The model F is sensitive to dust, but if you have goo on the pcb that isnt over the pads, it should still work.

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Apr 2020, 02:20

SneakyRobb wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 00:09

I would use wet paper towels to wipe down the pcb. Try this a few times
I agree. Maybe weak vinegar solution? There is not likely to be anything in there except maybe a spilled drink which was likely water-based.

ddrfraser1

11 Apr 2020, 05:13

Cool. Yeah, everything else is cleaned at this point. Trust me, I’ve dealt with far worse keyboard chow than this. I also found some electronics contact cleaner in a spray can that I think I’ll try too. Thanks for the help!!

Return to “Keyboards”