Anyone got a beam spring switch or an F hammer to sacrifice?

bhtooefr

05 Apr 2012, 16:21

I'm wondering what material IBM used for the beam spring flyplates, or alternately for the Model F hammers.

Anyone got one to sacrifice, or otherwise know the material?

The patent says it's a high dielectric plastic, and that it can be injection molded, but that's it. So, what is it actually?

http://blog.makezine.com/2011/09/22/ide ... -plastics/ has some procedures that can be done to identify an unknown plastic. Obviously, there won't be any resin identifier on them.

ripster

05 Apr 2012, 16:26

You mean the barrels/case assembly for the keys? That's ABS on the IBM. The Unicomp is a bit less clear - that MAY be a mix. The hammers are interesting. I can use a Model F hammer to type on my iPad. I can't with the Model M hammer. Not sure the material though.

bhtooefr

05 Apr 2012, 16:43

I mean the hammer itself. Barrels and case assembly aren't my concern.

The plastic case around the actual switch in the beam spring would also be nice to know about, although I suspect ABS would work fine for that.

Ascaii
The Beard

05 Apr 2012, 22:56

I could use an extra Model F spring in case anyone has one.

bhtooefr

05 Apr 2012, 23:36

Some theories that were being discussed were, if it's conductive, there may be metal particles. (However, it's supposed to be a dielectric. I'm guessing it's polycarbonate or PMMA.)

RC-1140

05 Apr 2012, 23:45

btw, to abuse this thread a little more: I would be glad if anybody had an additional Model M Hammer. My Model M2 has got a broken one. Probably a little easier to get by, compared to the capacitive variant.

bhtooefr

05 Apr 2012, 23:46

Model M is far easier... although I forget if M and M2 are the same.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/Misc/PVPLASM

RC-1140

05 Apr 2012, 23:49

Well, of course I know that Unicomp sells them, but I was wondering if anyone here in Germany or at least Europe had a spare one. Shipping from the US for only the Hammer would be an overkill.

Ascaii
The Beard

06 Apr 2012, 21:38

I can send you a defective M2^^

RC-1140

06 Apr 2012, 21:50

in which way defective? Mine was defective as well, but after replacing the capacitors it works again.

Ascaii
The Beard

06 Apr 2012, 22:12

same thing ^_^

RC-1140

06 Apr 2012, 22:22

hm, thinking about the ergo ALPS board you still have put aside for me, this might be an option. I'll just have to wait for my pay. Probably the day after tomorrow you'll get a PM.

Return to “Keyboards”