What switch?

Fkazim

16 Apr 2020, 21:21

Hey guys would like some help identifying what switch this keyboard might have.

Thanks.
Attachments
What switch.PNG
What switch.PNG (952.21 KiB) Viewed 1996 times

Findecanor

16 Apr 2020, 21:58

That must have been been yanked from a typewriter. I have seen similar keycaps from an AEG typewriter, and those were Cherry MX-compatible.

I think it would be easier to find info if you searched on the model name of the typewriter.

Fkazim

16 Apr 2020, 22:02

The keyboard has a ps/2 connector was there any typewriters with detachable keyboards?

Willy4876

17 Apr 2020, 05:02

I'd say it is more likely a word processor keyboard. I'm guessing that mostly from the arrow keys and some of the legends like recall phrase. That sounds like more of a computer-like function than even some of the later more advanced electric typewriters.

Willy4876

17 Apr 2020, 05:21

I'd say it is more likely a word processor keyboard. I'm guessing that mostly from the arrow keys and some of the legends like recall phrase. That sounds like more of a computer-like function than even some of the later more advanced electric typewriters.

This is the closest looking thing that I found from a quick google search. It looks similar to what Fkazim posted but this one has a nav-cluster.

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads ... 78&page=70 (Scroll down a bit)

This lead me to search for Olympia Olytext machines and I found this DT thread. I cannot say for sure that this is going to have the same switches but it would make sense.

viewtopic.php?t=18286

I hope it helps.

Willy4876

17 Apr 2020, 05:28

Sorry for the duplicate. Was trying to edit the first one.

Fkazim

17 Apr 2020, 11:14

Yeah that looks very similar to it Thanks.

Findecanor

19 Apr 2020, 01:22

Fkazim wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 22:02
The keyboard has a ps/2 connector was there any typewriters with detachable keyboards?
Mind that not all 6-pin mini-DIN plugs are PS/2. SGI and Commodore Amiga keyboards also used that connector, and there are yet more interfaces using mini-DIN with other number of pins.

A word processor sounds likely. Some typewriter brands did make word processors.

cheesy_jones

19 Apr 2020, 14:03

Findecanor wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 01:22
A word processor sounds likely. Some typewriter brands did make word processors.
Time was you couldn't go into a Sears without running across a million of them. They all seemed cheaply built and unreliable next to a real electric typewriter. The world has changed.

Return to “Keyboards”