I want an RGB mechanical Keyboard but dislike the 'gaming aesthetic' most seem to come with. Any Suggestions?

keyyyyyss99

22 Apr 2020, 05:36

I've been wanting an RGB mechanical keyboard to go with my PC build but all the ones I can seem to find that are readily available have a strong 'gaming aesthetic' (all black, maybe red accents, massive wrist rests etc) to them (such as the Razer, Corsair and Logitech keyboards) and I find that quite ugly even though I would be gaming.

Can anyone suggest some RGB keyboards that have a nicer aesthetic to them? For example, similar in appearance to the Ducky One 2.

I understand that some of you guys might recommend doing a custom build but I don't feel well-informed or comfortable enough to make my own custom keyboard. If such a product doesn't really exist for a not insane price I understand as well and any answer is appreciated since I'm very new to this type of thing.

Findecanor

22 Apr 2020, 15:10

Welcome to the forum! There are some good or well-known custom builders here, but other forums are definitely more focused on that. Nobody here will yell at you for not building a $1000 board that weighs like an anvil. ;)

I think there are RGB keyboards in the Ducky One series itself. Are those not up to snuff, or are you just looking for more options before deciding?

robo

22 Apr 2020, 17:35

Isn't RGB backlighting the most 'gaming aesthetic' thing imaginable? ;)

depletedvespene

22 Apr 2020, 17:49

robo wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 17:35
Isn't RGB backlighting the most 'gaming aesthetic' thing imaginable? ;)
Actually... no. All the other factors that keyyyyyss99 mentioned are what truly create the "gaming aesthetic", to which the RGB is tacked on as an indelible part of it. But an "non-gamer" keyboard with RGB could exist (YMMV).

derzemel

22 Apr 2020, 18:44

There used to be the Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L RGB and Pro S RGB (tkl). They are not in production anymore, but you might find some old-stock, or second hand.
You also have the Das Keyboard 4Q
You can also get a Realforce RGB, if you want to splurge on Topre.
For 60%, there is the poker 3 RGB, but it has floating keycap design. You can easily find tall after market cases for it though.

DevilZmods

23 Apr 2020, 08:45

Maybe find a cheap or used gaming board with a not too crazy looking housing and swap the keycaps? Those should be the easiest way to get away from the gamer aesthetic and you could even paint the case to match.

davkol

24 Apr 2020, 12:30

Wooting…?

ddrfraser1

24 Apr 2020, 15:59

Steel series apex pro.
As someone who generally dislikes RGB shine through, I like this board. I originally bought this board because I thought the switches were interesting and I intended to swap out the keycaps. But when I got it, I liked the look of it so much I just kept it stock.

Findecanor

24 Apr 2020, 16:09

davkol wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 12:30
Wooting…?
Those have a floating-keys design that might be considered "gamer æsthetic" .. But on the other hand, the special key switches in the Wooting keyboards do not bleed light out the sides as much.

grasshopper

27 Apr 2020, 18:33

For what it's worth, I own a Steelseries Apex M500, and it's by far the best cherry based keyboard that I have in my collection. Once you replace the stock keycaps, it's actually a very stylish and extremely well made keyboard. IMHO Steelseries made a big mistake in marketing it as a gamers board. It's basically Filco quality at less than half the price.

Unfortunately for the original poster, its backlighting facilities are extremely limited. You only get one colour (blue) and it's not possible to light up individual keys independently of one another.

Return to “Keyboards”