"<>" key on model M is dead - fix without disassembly?

XCII

02 May 2020, 12:21

Hello

I own a Model M, Danish layout (1391407)
where the "<>" key is dead.

Is there a way to fix it without taking the entire keyboard apart and bolt-modding the whole thing?

All the keys feel as they should, including the one not working.

In case the location of the key matters, here's the key that does not register:
20200502_121135~2.jpg
20200502_121135~2.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 1712 times

Fkazim

02 May 2020, 13:15

Try blasting some compressed air down the key barrel it could be there's dirt stopping the flipper making contact to the membrane.

Make sure the keys notch engages with the buckling spring. This is done by tilting the keyboard back as you install the key.

If that still doesn't solve the problem than a full disassembly and screw/bolt mod will be the only option. This way you can fully clean the inner assembly.
Last edited by Fkazim on 02 May 2020, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

kmnov2017

02 May 2020, 13:17

Did it work before?

If you are using one of those 1 euro PS2 to USB converters, some of those didn't have support for 102 keys and only support 101 keys. And that's exactly the key that wouldn't work if the converter doesn't support it. I had the exact problem with one of my converters, changing the converter solved the problem.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 May 2020, 13:20

First try to reseat the keycap, but you probably already tried that. It's a bit suspect that the key is entirely dead but feels ok. In my experience that in the majority of cases means there's another key stuck somewhere, confusing the matrix, maybe one you don't use and therefore didn't notice, like Scroll Lock, and then it could be just a matter of reseating the keycap of that other key.

If that's not it, I would change the spring. Like you said it feels ok so that might not be it, but it's an option you can try if you have spare springs without having to take the keyboard apart. E.g. search for Sandy's chopstick method. Basically you take the keycap off, insert a stick (I use a toothpick) that has just enough friction to remove the spring and insert a new one, but isn't too tight or it could damage the new spring. This may take a little practice though, I burned through a couple of springs the first time I tried it before I got the feel for it.

XCII

02 May 2020, 13:59

kmnov2017 wrote:
Did it work before?

If you are using one of those 1 euro PS2 to USB converters, some of those didn't have support for 102 keys and only support 101 keys. And that's exactly the key that wouldn't work if the converter doesn't support it. I had the exact problem with one of my converters, changing the converter solved the problem.
I am using an active Goobay converter, but yeah, it's on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Is there any specific PS/2 to USB converter you can recommend? I do not have a PS/2 port on my motherboard.

kmnov2017

02 May 2020, 14:42

XCII wrote:
02 May 2020, 13:59
kmnov2017 wrote:
Did it work before?

I am using an active Goobay converter, but yeah, it's on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Is there any specific PS/2 to USB converter you can recommend? I do not have a PS/2 port on my motherboard.
You didn't answer if it worked before ? That's the only way to tell if the converter is the problem.

There's no specific converter, you just have to try out different ones and see what works for you. I bought a bunch of them from AliExpress (they cost around 1.5 euros each shipped). One of them didn't work with 102 keys keyboard, the rest of the converters worked.

Here's a link to a working converter

#Aliexpress € 0,94 31%OFF | 1Pcs For Keyboard Mouse Male To Female Cable Adapter Converter Use USB To PS2 Cord Converter Adapter
https://a.aliexpress.com/_B1e0ao

Return to “Keyboards”