Alps Lubricant FOUND!

Yasu0

21 Dec 2023, 19:56

He has some of it jarred up into small jars, and on ebay under 2583g now. His warehouse will be closed for winter break from Friday afternoon until January 03rd I believe. If you want to pick up in person In Los Angeles tomorrow morning, just message him on ebay.

Yasu0

05 Jan 2024, 21:31

Somebody PM'ed asking, here is the ebay listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225926488313

I think international shipping is possible, just message Gary on ebay for shipping cost. Pickup in person weekdays 9am-4pm is fine too.

yLothar

06 Jan 2024, 10:33

Thank you, order placed.

mikhail

02 Mar 2024, 16:14

I found a solution for ALPS (at least for secon generation - lineared whites and blacks): paraffin lubricant for bicycle chain + Krytox 205 g2.
Paraffin lub is like waxlube, but easyer - you can brush lube or bag lube the stems. It also does not harden when dry.
Krytox 205 g2 on stem reails is just for more sound dampening.
I've been using this scheme for two months now, sounds and feels great.

Yasu0

20 Mar 2024, 22:52

There are a few of these left.
kshopper2084 wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 16:13
May I ask why you have lost interest in ALPS switches? Are you feeling okay? ;)
I have only three inexpensive alps boards, perhaps poor examples. I have used them along with my few model f's, m's, and cherries in my little stash. I find that a modern unicomp is what my personal preference is these days is all. USB, inexpensive, good feel, easily replaced. One day I will have time to clean and lube one of my alps boards up, and then reevaluate. Which is what is what led me to this thread in the first place...

andresteare

19 Apr 2024, 04:07

JP! wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 07:33
After much trial and error, I believe I have found the best solution for restoring Alps switches. Normally I would feed you guys some BS and recommend switching to buckling springs :evilgeek:

Without much further ado, here is the next best thing short of a time machine:
Spoiler:
Think of this like a wax boil but better. It's delicious, nutritious, organic, aromatic, sustainable, grass-fed, free range, cruelty free, ethically sourced, grown in season, fare wage, farm to town, barn to ladle, blessed by angels and cursed by demons. Now with free shipping!

image_6483441.JPG
So you just do the wax boild method but with tallow instead of candle wax? Does it feel different?

JP!

20 Apr 2024, 17:21

andresteare wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 04:07
So you just do the wax boild method but with tallow instead of candle wax? Does it feel different?
JP! wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 07:33
Normally I would feed you guys some BS
As much as I was joking about using beef tallow as a lubricant for switches it does serve as a natural lubricant for those seeking sustainable alternatives to petroleum based products. It would be interesting to test at the very least.

Additionally beef tallow has a long history in candle making. Tallow candles produce a cleaner burning candle than paraffin wax. With such a sustainable and versatile product you can apply directly or make a tallow candle to do a wax boil. :D

kshopper2084

20 Apr 2024, 19:24

Has anyone had a chance to use their 2583g lube yet? I am curious as to the results.

I think I'm going to replace all the springs on my Salmon switches to lower their activation force a bit, so might as well apply lube and any necessary "paper fix" at the same time. What is the next best lube to use if 2583g isn't available?

I was considering trying a PTFE ceramic bicycle lube.

kshopper2084

21 Apr 2024, 15:32

Actually, if anyone has some extra 2583g they bought I might be interested in it. Why not go for the "good stuff" if I'm doing the work anyway? :)

Return to “Keyboards”