Alps Plate Spring vs Futaba MA

kelvinhall05

21 May 2020, 00:56

Hi guys, recently bought an M0116 from SneakyRobb (thanks again :D) and he tossed in a loose Alps Plate Spring switch. I have always been curious about them but never got a chance to try them; until now. Man, these are great. I love them. I really want a board with them, but they seem to be fairly expensive and/or rare. I did consider buying a Futaba MA board...how similar are those in terms of switch feel?

Btw, if someone here has a plate spring board, I might be interested in buying it (or trading for something of mine; preferably the two boards I have for sale). Thanks!

Chyros

21 May 2020, 10:33

APS is way better than Futaba MA IMO. Much more definite in terms of keyfeel. MA feel weird.

kelvinhall05

21 May 2020, 13:55

Chyros wrote:
21 May 2020, 10:33
APS is way better than Futaba MA IMO. Much more definite in terms of keyfeel. MA feel weird.
Interesting...how common are Alps skcp? Seems the only board with a normal layout (that I am likely to find, anyway) is the board from an IBM P70, whereas I've seen tons of Futaba boards. Do you still think it's worth picking one up? How well do they clean up? I found one the other day with ansi layout and pretty cheap, but it is super dirty.

EnthusiastDude

21 May 2020, 14:56

APS are great, they do have some similarities to Futaba MA, but they're definitely better.
No idea how well they tolerate dirt though..

Return to “Keyboards”