This could've been a happier post (Displaywriter)

shine

03 Jun 2020, 12:25

:(

My 6580 Displaywriter got damaged while shipping after 2+ months waiting for the owner to ship it as it was on another building far away from his house and he couldn't go there bc of the pandemic.

I just was like a child waiting for christmas presents, the Displaywriter is one of my favorite keyboards. I will of course save it but.. oh man, this makes me sad.

The keyboard is not that bad, and in top of that is rusty as hell. I just hope the PCB is not broken from the impacts or then i'll be really mad.

At least you are up to a future restoring post.

Wrap your machines!!
Attachments
IMG_6041.jpeg
IMG_6041.jpeg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 2177 times
IMG_6035.jpeg
IMG_6035.jpeg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 2177 times
IMG_6034.jpeg
IMG_6034.jpeg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 2177 times
IMG_6033.jpeg
IMG_6033.jpeg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 2177 times
IMG_6016.jpeg
IMG_6016.jpeg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2177 times
IMG_6015.JPG
IMG_6015.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2177 times
IMG_6014.JPG
IMG_6014.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 2177 times
IMG_6013.jpeg
IMG_6013.jpeg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 2177 times
Last edited by shine on 04 Jun 2020, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Invisius

03 Jun 2020, 12:39

Oh this is painful to see. It's so difficult to insulate these bricks from their own weight, especially the way shipping companies handle them.

I had a Multistation board that got crunched like this. The PCB should be sturdy since it's flush mounted to the brass plate, but I could see it cracking if that space bar got enough of a direct impact. I hope you're able to fix the stems, or that they just got dislodged.

shine

03 Jun 2020, 12:50

Invisius wrote:
Oh this is painful to see. It's so difficult to insulate these bricks from their own weight, especially the way shipping companies handle them.

I had a Multistation board that got crunched like this. The PCB should be sturdy since it's flush mounted to the brass plate, but I could see it cracking if that space bar got enough of a direct impact. I hope you're able to fix the stems, or that they just got dislodged.
the space bar is super hard stuck, that's what worries me the most. If the PCB is cracked i can say goodbye to my dream beam

zrrion

03 Jun 2020, 16:58

I know there are folks here that have made beamspring PCBs so even if the original PCB is damaged you should still be able to get something working.

kmnov2017

03 Jun 2020, 17:02

shine wrote:
Invisius wrote:

the space bar is super hard stuck, that's what worries me the most. If the PCB is cracked i can say goodbye to my dream beam
The PCB is the easiest thing to replace.

shine

03 Jun 2020, 17:15

kmnov2017 wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 17:02
shine wrote:
Invisius wrote:

The PCB is the easiest thing to replace.
wow didn't knew that!! now i'm relieved, thanks, you made my day. :D

John Doe

03 Jun 2020, 17:18

Yes, I agree with the saying that PCB is not big deal at all.

I have no idea with the host, but for the keyboard, no keys missed, front&bottom cases are still fine, some stems bent but could be fixed easily. So you could save it definitely. What I concerned is the white sliders if the keys bent so heavily, but even so, you could just place orders from orihalcon. That will spend bit but still ok for the restoration.

So good luck.

JP!

03 Jun 2020, 17:26

I really don't think it's as bad as it looks. Remove all the keys with the exception of the spacebar and do a full tear down and see what's going on.

Weezer

03 Jun 2020, 17:37

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Everything looks like it could be fixed with a little elbow grease, and the things that seem like they wouldn't be fixable are still relatively available. You're very lucky that the keys didn't smash into a million pieces during shipping! That's what happened to me.

Return to “Keyboards”