Recent Matias Switch Reliability

Willy4876

12 Jun 2020, 03:28

I'm currently in the process of cleaning up an Acer 6311 6011. The white Alps in it were super dirty. I am planning to replace them with clicky Matias switches. I keep reading online about reliability problems with them. So my question is did this issue ever get solved or is it still a problem?

Edit: I'm cleaning up a 6011 not a 6311. Just a typo.
Last edited by Willy4876 on 13 Jun 2020, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

Polecat

12 Jun 2020, 04:02

Willy4876 wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 03:28
I'm currently in the process of cleaning up an Acer 6311. The white Alps in it were super dirty. I am planning to replace them with clicky Matias switches. I keep reading online about reliability problems with them. So my question is did this issue ever get solved or is it still a problem?
You have a 6311 with individual switches?

funkmon

12 Jun 2020, 04:14

I feel like I've seen one with switches pulled out before, but in hindsight, that doesn't make much sense does it?

In regards to the actual question, on geekhack there are a few of us using Matias boards who love them to bits and don't seem to have any issues whatsoever, though I can't speak to the reliability at large.

Findecanor

12 Jun 2020, 10:10

Alps and Matias switches don't work in Acer 6311. Acer 6311 has Acer switches — with Alps-compatible sliders but which are backed by membranes instead of a PCB. The Acer switches also feel somewhat Alps-like, and some switches have white sliders in black housings so they are often confused with scratchy white Alps.

There are however also Acer keyboards with Alps switches, using the same type of case as one of the variants of the 6311. Those shouldn't be labelled 6311 however, but (although unlikely) someone might have swapped the case.

hellothere

12 Jun 2020, 22:45

Addressing the question on Matias, though, I'm currently typing this on a Matias Ergo Pro 2 keyboard (2017 or 2018, I think). It's got four or five switches that need to be replaced. However, considering that the number is less than 10, I'll buy some new Matias switches. If it goes above 10, I might go Alps hunting.

Matias switches do feel very nice.

Willy4876

13 Jun 2020, 01:41

hellothere wrote:
Addressing the question on Matias, though, I'm currently typing this on a Matias Ergo Pro 2 keyboard (2017 or 2018, I think). It's got four or five switches that need to be replaced. However, considering that the number is less than 10, I'll buy some new Matias switches. If it goes above 10, I might go Alps hunting.

I have a handful of yellow SKCL Alps so if they start to fail I can always throw some of those in.

Thank you to those who pointed out my typo. I have a 6011 not a 6311. I have edited the original post to reflect this.

swampangel

13 Jun 2020, 13:49

I had matias switches fail on a KBParadise V80 from 2016, which was well after talk of an improved "v2" had started. There's never been any technical information about any changes, and I've had chattering switches now on the V80, an Ergo Pro, and a handwire from a bag of secondhand switches. So colour me skeptical.

There seem to be two problems. The first, and much more common, is that a little bit of silicone grease or something applied at the factory is overapplied and causes the switch to stay "pressed" a little longer than it should, causing chattering. Clean the switch and it works again.

The other problem I've had is that the unsupported contact leaf actually breaks. Here it's only damaged, but I've had them fully break off, and then the switch doesn't work.

That said, they are nice switches to type on and if you're doing a refurb anyway, repairing 1-2 switches down the line won't be too bad a chore. I feel like a Matias doomsayer in these threads but hey -- I still use em :mrgreen:

kshopper2084

13 Jun 2020, 17:29

hellothere wrote:

Been there, done that. Got tired of opening the keyboard every few months to replace switches.

Other than the ridiculous micro USB port failing, my Ergo Pro w/ Salmon ALPS has been a pure pleasure to use since I "fixed it". :)

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23000

Willy4876

13 Jun 2020, 20:04

swampangel wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 13:49
I had matias switches fail on a KBParadise V80 from 2016, which was well after talk of an improved "v2" had started. There's never been any technical information about any changes, and I've had chattering switches now on the V80, an Ergo Pro, and a handwire from a bag of secondhand switches. So colour me skeptical.

There seem to be two problems. The first, and much more common, is that a little bit of silicone grease or something applied at the factory is overapplied and causes the switch to stay "pressed" a little longer than it should, causing chattering. Clean the switch and it works again.

The other problem I've had is that the unsupported contact leaf actually breaks. Here it's only damaged, but I've had them fully break off, and then the switch doesn't work.

That said, they are nice switches to type on and if you're doing a refurb anyway, repairing 1-2 switches down the line won't be too bad a chore. I feel like a Matias doomsayer in these threads but hey -- I still use em :mrgreen:
It look almost like when they were assembling the switch the leaft caught on the slider. But yeah that definitely doesn't look right.

hellothere

13 Jun 2020, 20:07

Nice work, kshopper.

I just finished buying a 10 pack of the Matias quiet switches ($7.50 + free ship at mechanicalkeyboards.com), so I'll swap the bad switches out and see what happens. One amusing thing about the key chatter is that it makes me realize how much I use the "w" key.

Bjerrk

16 Mar 2021, 21:37

What's the status on this - did the situation with Matias switch reliability ever improve?

I've read a few threads where rumours of it being "fixed" or "improved" were mentioned, but never anything concrete.

Willy4876

17 Mar 2021, 01:51

Bjerrk wrote:
What's the status on this - did the situation with Matias switch reliability ever improve?

I've read a few threads where rumours of it being "fixed" or "improved" were mentioned, but never anything concrete.
I ended up rebuilding the Acer with Matias switches and I haven't had an issue. I used it for 5 or 6 months as my work keyboard before switching to another board and I never had an issue.

Another thing to keep in mind with Matias is that they are a pain to reassemble if they are in the keyboard (like all simplified alps and clones). If they're not soldered it's not to bad but still tricky.

lispnick

19 Mar 2021, 01:37

Bjerrk wrote:

I have bought three cartons of Matias switches a few months ago and build several keyboards using them with no problems. Sometimes I got across a click switch with inconsistent clicks (does not click on slow presses) but it is perhaps less than 1% in the box. I do not exactly know what was wrong in the earlier batches but they seem pretty decent to me.

Bjerrk

19 Mar 2021, 09:00

Willy4876 wrote:
I ended up rebuilding the Acer with Matias switches and I haven't had an issue. I used it for 5 or 6 months as my work keyboard before switching to another board and I never had an issue.
That's good to hear!
Willy4876 wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind with Matias is that they are a pain to reassemble if they are in the keyboard (like all simplified alps and clones). If they're not soldered it's not to bad but still tricky.
Would one then have to desolder all switches to replace a faulty one? I sure hope not.
lispnick wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 01:37
I have bought three cartons of Matias switches a few months ago and build several keyboards using them with no problems. Sometimes I got across a click switch with inconsistent clicks (does not click on slow presses) but it is perhaps less than 1% in the box. I do not exactly know what was wrong in the earlier batches but they seem pretty decent to me.
That's reassuring :)

There have been many reports on this and other forums about chattering or non-registering switches. The geekhack thread I linked also mentions the whole retooling business.

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2021, 09:14

Building keyboards with new switches is one thing—they tend to fail *after* a bit of use—but the report of 5 months daily use is more reassuring. We certainly dunked on them here at DT too. Just 2 months use was enough for Vometia to trigger all the issues Matias was notorious for. If they've changed, good on them. But they should really have offered replacements for all their failed kit.

Bjerrk

19 Mar 2021, 09:41

It's the truth.
And, to be honest, still feels like a bit of a gamble, given the lack of any solid info on what exactly the problem was and how it was (perhaps) resolved.

If they came out and said "Yeah, we accidentally smeared the contact leaves with a thick layer of conductive faeces for a while, but now we've stopped" or something similarly concrete, I would feel more confident buying from them.

And yes, it would help if they consistently offered free replacements for any such faecal switches. I have even seen some very defensive or downright hostile e-mails from Matias' customer support posted here.

Willy4876

19 Mar 2021, 16:58

Bjerrk wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 09:00
Would one then have to desolder all switches to replace a faulty one? I sure hope not.
No just the faulty switch the others can be left in place.

Willy4876

19 Mar 2021, 17:02

One thing that I can give Matias credit for is that they're cheap. $50 (I don't remember if that's CAD or USD) for 200 switches really isn't bad. Even if you do have a couple go bad you will have a ton of replacements. You can also find them on Taobao for $0.10 per switch.

Muirium
µ

19 Mar 2021, 17:40

Buy cheap switches: spend cheap time replacing each and every one of them that ever goes wrong. They all will, you know. And I don’t even mean that philosophically. Those wee bastards are gonna get ya!

Return to “Keyboards”