Beamspring space bar broken

ayehavgunne

13 Jul 2020, 06:46

I'm going about fixing up my newly acquired beamspring and the stabilizer hole on the underneath of the spacebar is broken.

Pics
Spoiler:
Broken side

Good side
Anyone have some suggestions for repairing it?

mode1ace

13 Jul 2020, 07:41

Do you have the broken off piece? if so, abs welding is the way to go.

ZedTheMan

13 Jul 2020, 20:25

Seconding ABS welding. This is how I fixed mine on my personal 3101. It's kinda a pain because I lost the broken piece and essentially had to add layer after layer of abs paste and shave and mould it into the right shape. Took a long time.... but it works!

Weezer

13 Jul 2020, 20:55

I can't comment on what the best method for this is because I'm not super skilled at plastic repair. My fix would probably be bending a paperclip into a hole and then gluing it to the bottom xD I was fortunate enough to have a very kind and helpful member on here help me out with a similar repair.

What beamspring did you pick up though? Would you mind posing a pick?

ayehavgunne

14 Jul 2020, 01:22

Unfortunately, broken is the way it came and I don't have the broken off piece.

Here are some picks so far. I am replacing the foam right now.

https://imgur.com/a/yUSlwhp

Other than this space bar everything looks to be in really nice shape.

It was listed as a 3276 but I don't see anything in it that indicates a model number or a year. From what I have(n't) found online I don't know what difference there is between the 3276 and the 3278 but it seems to be one of the two.

Weezer

14 Jul 2020, 02:14

That's a beautiful board. It's in absolutely mint condition other than the space bar.

FYI: the return key is upside down in the pics in case you didn't know.

AJM

15 Jul 2020, 20:18

That board looks great!
But have you mounted all the switches rotated by 180° (stems angled towards the front instead of the back) on purpose? That results in the weirdest keycap profile, I've seen so far.

ayehavgunne

16 Jul 2020, 05:11

AJM wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 20:18
That board looks great!
But have you mounted all the switches rotated by 180° (stems angled towards the front instead of the back) on purpose? That results in the weirdest keycap profile, I've seen so far.
Those pictures are of when it arrived. I am giving it a thorough cleaning and replacing the foam still. I'll put it back together in the correct order :D

Return to “Keyboards”