IBM F XT Spewing

hellothere

20 Aug 2020, 00:17

kmnov2017 wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 13:59
Spewing of text can happen for the following reasons <snip>

1. The chassis is not grounded properly.
We have a winner, in my case, at least. Thanks again for your post!

Athen

28 Dec 2020, 15:11

Hey guys, it's been a while. I've done the in-chassis converter, but the problem is still quite present. I have identified the offending 'repeating' keys, but I have other problems- such as the F keys spewing randoms commands, one most notably changed my entire monitor to red.

Regarding the repeating keys, I've had some that are unable to register as a keypress when the keycap is on, but will register if I tap the spring. Others just repeat endlessly if there is a keycap on. It seems like a hardware problem on my keyboard's part seeing as some of the IC's, when tapped will cause the keyboard to spew.
The ICs don't seem damaged sometimes, as the keyboard had once typed fine for an hour or so.

I am considering re-doing the foam, as I had done it quite clumsily before .

I'm at a loss, so any ideas will help, bit thanks for all the advice nonetheless. I'm scared that this board might be a dud, but oh well. I'll keep trying to fix it, so I'll keep you posted if anything else arises.

arcticfox

29 Dec 2020, 01:43

Athen wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 15:11
Hey guys, it's been a while. I've done the in-chassis converter, but the problem is still quite present. I have identified the offending 'repeating' keys, but I have other problems- such as the F keys spewing randoms commands, one most notably changed my entire monitor to red.

Regarding the repeating keys, I've had some that are unable to register as a keypress when the keycap is on, but will register if I tap the spring. Others just repeat endlessly if there is a keycap on. It seems like a hardware problem on my keyboard's part seeing as some of the IC's, when tapped will cause the keyboard to spew.
The ICs don't seem damaged sometimes, as the keyboard had once typed fine for an hour or so.

I am considering re-doing the foam, as I had done it quite clumsily before .

I'm at a loss, so any ideas will help, bit thanks for all the advice nonetheless. I'm scared that this board might be a dud, but oh well. I'll keep trying to fix it, so I'll keep you posted if anything else arises.
As a last resort, maybe try desoldering the original controller components, and then add an Xwhatsit?
This user has done it on a broken XT. viewtopic.php?p=475343#p475343

Return to “Keyboards”