Find spares parts from old keyboard

Arkheon

03 Aug 2020, 01:19

Hello ,

I found an old keyboard at my work and got i for free .
I want to repair it . It misses 2 keys ( F11 and ctrl ?) and the white part beneath the key seems broken ?

Is it easy to fix it ? where should i go to find original parts ?is there somewhere a tutorial for repairing old keybord like these ?

here the keyboard model :

Thank you very much

VinZ

mcmaxmcmc

03 Aug 2020, 02:31

The fix shouldn't be too hard -- the switches are Cherry MY and I believe they aren't the worst to repair... you'll need some glue though, I think? (I'm not sure if the switches were riveted in or clipped in).

As for the parts -- the switches will be easy as people usually just throw away Cherry MY chassis, they're not very good switches. For the caps though... that's going to be tough.

The keycaps are of a unique colorway to its own, so you'll need them from a spare parts keyboard to fix this one. Perhaps some people will have spare keycaps, but I'm not one of them.

If you don't want to bother fixing it, I'm certainly interested in buying it off of you. :)

Findecanor

03 Aug 2020, 03:23

Each Cherry MY modules is clipped to a metal plate through two plastic pins that expand on the bottom side.
(I've only ever removed them, never put one back ...)

I think the best would be to replace the whole module. That particular version of Cherry MY is unusual, but I guess that other types of modules would fit.
Edit: I have a bunch loose modules of another variation, but not those tiny pins ... (I have used them for mocking up keyboard layouts)
Last edited by Findecanor on 03 Aug 2020, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

4_404

03 Aug 2020, 07:07

I have one of these modules from the same OIivetti G81-3000 which also has a snapped stem on one switch (the number 2 key) but otherwise works fine. I'm in Australia, so probably not worth the shipping, but you can have the internal module for the price of shipping if you (or anyone else) want it.

Arkheon

07 Aug 2020, 09:58

Hello ,

Thank you all for your quick responses :)

Im sad because the keycap are very nice , and I hoped to find easily the missing ones .

2ter

09 Aug 2020, 00:46

You could try to find a winkeyless Cherry G80-3000 keyboard with Cherry MX switches and use the innards plus the missing keycaps.

Return to “Keyboards”