Cleaning a Model F XT Safely

Inxie

21 Aug 2020, 03:17

Knowing that the case on the Model F XT is painted, what's the safest way to clean in the.......pours? Whatever the texture is called. Some areas where my wrist goes is darkening, and soap and water with a paper towel certainly helped some, but it's not getting in deeply. I'm afraid to use anything I'd normally use like 91% IPA, etc.

zzxx53

21 Aug 2020, 05:21

I've personally never had issues with IPA. Maybe try it on a corner first?

-Space-NATO-

21 Aug 2020, 05:43

Baking soda with very little soapy water, do not dilute the baking soda. use it lightly and carefully. It's like a using a very very fine sandpaper. I've cleaned mine like that and works great!
Spoiler:

JP!

21 Aug 2020, 05:51

Most of the time I submerge the case in my sink along with some hot soapy water and scrub away with a cloth rag or toothbrush. Baking soda sounds like a good idea though. I think I've also heard of some people using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads for scuff marks but I've not tried those either.

fohat
Elder Messenger

21 Aug 2020, 15:33

JP! wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 05:51

I've also heard of some people using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads for scuff marks
They don't look it, but those are surprisingly abrasive. They will quickly remove the texture if you aren't careful.

I use laundry detergent (powder) and a plastic dishwashing pad and/or toothbrush. Alcohol is an excellent cleaner but put it down and get it up quickly and rinse thoroughly, same with other stronger solvents.

ddrfraser1

21 Aug 2020, 16:08

I used a scrub brush and dish soap on my AT. Didn't have any trouble.

hellothere

21 Aug 2020, 16:55

With great respect to fohat's comment regarding the Magic Eraser, as he`s had more experience, I've used the Magic Eraser, but the one without soap, on both top and bottom case on my Model F XT. No problems. I'd assume that if you did one spot for 15 min, it would be a problem.

I'm told that there are no-name versions of the Magic Eraser on Amazon where you can get a zillion for $0.25. I haven`t checked, though.

Inxie

21 Aug 2020, 19:14

Maybe third time's the charm? Third time attempting to write this without the power going out.
Thank you to everyone's advice, I went with the soap and water, and elbow grease route and I think the results were perfect.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

21 Aug 2020, 20:31

Superb results, looks fresh out of the box!

Coeus

21 Aug 2020, 21:04

That result looks excellent. I am always wary of painted plastic as in some case the paint comes off rather too easily but then these keyboards are well built.

Interestingly, cleaning the keycaps, I saw a video in which someone left them to soak in standard dish-washing soap for 6 hours. Never underestimate the usefulness of soaking if you don't want to do too much scrubbing.

Inxie

21 Aug 2020, 21:37

Redmaus wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 20:31
Superb results, looks fresh out of the box!
Thanks, that's pretty much how I felt when I got done with it. I'm shocked at how clean it is and rust free it is inside. About the only thing was just a couple keys needed the springs changed, that's about it.

Inxie

01 Sep 2020, 15:15

DanielMason wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 04:36
(yadda yadda yadda)
Wenn Sie dies lesen, sind Sie nur ein typischer Spam-Bot.

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Sep 2020, 15:49

Coeus wrote:

I am always wary of painted plastic as in some case the paint comes off rather too easily

Never underestimate the usefulness of soaking if you don't want to do too much scrubbing.
The Model F cases have a shiny white inner core of plastic with another, off-white top coat that includes/produces the texture.

That layer can wear off, peel off, or chip off, although it is generally quite strong. Once gone, however, it is pretty much impossible to repair or match.

* Never underestimate the usefulness of soaking if you don't want to do too much scrubbing. *

Lbibass

02 Sep 2020, 16:50

fohat wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 15:49
Coeus wrote:

I am always wary of painted plastic as in some case the paint comes off rather too easily

Never underestimate the usefulness of soaking if you don't want to do too much scrubbing.
The Model F cases have a shiny white inner core of plastic with another, off-white top coat that includes/produces the texture.

That layer can wear off, peel off, or chip off, although it is generally quite strong. Once gone, however, it is pretty much impossible to repair or match.

* Never underestimate the usefulness of soaking if you don't want to do too much scrubbing. *
yeah… I nearly destroyed an F AT's case by using IPA to clean it. that was a terrible idea. It left a ton of streaking and stuff all over the case.

Return to “Keyboards”