Model F Technical Manual Project

darkcruix

24 Sep 2020, 14:50

ckafi wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 10:56
This is such a cool project. Kudos! I see you've already got pictures of a battleship, but would you be interested in some of one with original german/APL keycaps?
Thanks - a pic of a Battleship with APL keys would be awesome!!!! I have planned to get an Appendix made that contains all sorts of original variations and curiosities. Whenever I concentrate on one aspect, an explosion of new ideas come to mind (and sometimes they go too far :lol: ).

darkcruix

29 Sep 2020, 15:05

I have created a small web page for the Model F Technical Manual Project that also provides the latest version of the PDF for download. In a later stage, I plan to provide also all sorts of keyboard layouts, firmware files and links to the respective github resources.
Anyway, the webpage: https://www.bucklingspring.com

Let me know, what you think ...

darkcruix

01 Oct 2020, 17:21

Just pasted a minor update of the manual at:
https://www.bucklingspring.com/download ... reference/
We're at 139 pages now ...

Request: I would need a picture at good resolution from the backside of a ULTRA COMPACT model with the USB cable attached and without. If anybody can send me one, it would be of great help!

darkcruix

06 Oct 2020, 22:18

The new update from today increased the page count to 164. In this version I documented the process to open the Barrel Plate Sandwich and a few repair guides around it.
https://www.bucklingspring.com/downloads/

I am happy to add more guides, if I get hints on what to include.

darkcruix

10 Oct 2020, 00:32

I added a lot of content today into the latest version of the manual (0.5.9).
I am open to suggestions on what people would either like to read or think would be a good topic to explain. As usual the download is available from: https://www.bucklingspring.com/downloads/. There is a large version (243MB) for printing and a small version for on-screen viewing (60 MB). Both versions have the same content (176 pages), just the picture size is reduced on the second.

Among other things I added the following sections to the manual underneath the Hardware Guides and Reference:
  • Case Disassembly
  • USB cable replacement
  • Opening and Closing the Barrel Plate Sandwich
    - The Sandwich Dissection
    - Closing the Sandwich
    - All parts of the Barrel Plate Sandwich
  • Open Assembly Repairs
    - Remove Plastic Stabilizers
    - Testing Problematic Keys
    - Flipper Cleaning / Switching
    - Replacing the Foam
    - Creating a Foam Cutout from Scratch
  • Changing the Layout
    - Populating ever Key on a F62
    - Change from 2U key to 2 x 1U
    - ANSI Mod for Original IBM F107

Coeus

12 Oct 2020, 12:30

I opened the larger version in evince and it is working fine for me. I did notice that the first photo in the "Photos of Brand New Models" looks quite distorted - the the one that says it is just a placeholder. Note that the front edge appears to be curved when I assume it is straight and whole keyboard appears to be convex with the centre closer to us than the edges.

Ideally you want to avoid taking pictures of things close to the camera with a wide-angle lens. Bear in mind that single-lens mobile phone cameras tend to be wide-angle and then use digital zoom. Better to take the picture with a decent camera if you have one or, if you have a two lens mobile phone, zoom in just enough (and therefore move the phone further away) that it is using the normal/telephoto lens rather than the wide-angle.

Coeus

12 Oct 2020, 12:32

This is the photo I refer to in my previous post.
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (243.18 KiB) Viewed 6843 times

darkcruix

12 Oct 2020, 14:08

Thanks - I will replace this photo in the next iteration.
I am using a Canon EOS 250D with several original Canon lenses. As I shoot everything in RAW, I have to apply lens correction over all of them. Pictures I put in as placeholders are not corrected, but will be done so in the final product. The below has also the correct lighting I normally use, just the angle will be adjusted and height I shoot it from.
Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 14.15.53.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 14.15.53.jpg (161.31 KiB) Viewed 6821 times

darkcruix

13 Oct 2020, 17:18

Uploaded a new version (0.5.11) with several mostly cosmetic changes. Only correction I made is on page 4-48 with two new illustrations.
Spoiler:
Full_Keyboard_Explosion.jpeg
Full_Keyboard_Explosion.jpeg (103.38 KiB) Viewed 6773 times

Zcool31

15 Oct 2020, 18:49

darkcruix wrote:
Uploaded a new version (0.5.11) with several mostly cosmetic changes. Only correction I made is on page 4-48 with two new illustrations.
Spoiler:
That's beautiful.

darkcruix

15 Oct 2020, 18:52

Zcool31 wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 18:49
darkcruix wrote:
Spoiler:
That's beautiful.
your illustrations, Sir.... are beautiful

darkcruix

23 Oct 2020, 12:14

I need technical help to explain (in approximation) the sensing of the capacitive PCB.
To make it easier, I have created a 2x2 matrix with sensing pads on the backside and front side as shown in the picture below.
I want to describe how the sensing would work, if
* key A is pressed
* keys A and B are pressed
* keys A and C are pressed
* keys A, B, D are pressed
What I have read, I would interpret it as sending a pulse current through column C1 and measure capacitance on R1, R2, then send an impulse current through Column C2 and measure then start from R1 again (and doing this 100 times a second). This might be completely wrong, please correct me.
Illustration-2x2Matrix.jpg
Illustration-2x2Matrix.jpg (269.12 KiB) Viewed 6634 times

Zcool31

23 Oct 2020, 22:17

Your intuition is about right. The controller sends a pulse on C1, then measures R1 and R2 at the same time. All the Rs are connected to different pins, so they are measured in parallel. Then the controller turns off the C1 pin, sends a pulse on C2, and measures R1 and R2 in parallel again. All the Cs are also connected to their own pins, distinct from the pins to which the Rs are connected. The whole cycle, [C1, C2], repeats 100 times per second.

darkcruix

23 Oct 2020, 23:20

Zcool31 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 22:17
Your intuition is about right. The controller sends a pulse on C1, then measures R1 and R2 at the same time. All the Rs are connected to different pins, so they are measured in parallel. Then the controller turns off the C1 pin, sends a pulse on C2, and measures R1 and R2 in parallel again. All the Cs are also connected to their own pins, distinct from the pins to which the Rs are connected. The whole cycle, [C1, C2], repeats 100 times per second.
Thanks! Find attached the 4 pages I wrote around it. Mostly contains graphics that show (in my super high level variant) how the matrix sensing roughly works.
SensingPCB.pdf.zip
(1009.73 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

darkcruix

24 Oct 2020, 01:41

I updated the manual to version 0.5.14 today.
It contains various additions in section 4 (Capacitive PCB, Sensing PCB Circuitry, PCB-Pinout).

Download via: https://www.bucklingspring.com with either full size or reduced illustrations.

darkcruix

27 Oct 2020, 23:05

I am looking for someone with a converted 3178 Model F "Blue Switch" (or derivate like 3104). I would like to get a good photograph of the internal controller (xwhatsit or similar).

Jesseg

27 Oct 2020, 23:10

darkcruix wrote:
I am looking for someone with a converted 3178 Model F "Blue Switch" (or derivate like 3104). I would like to get a good photograph of the internal controller (xwhatsit or similar).
Hello, I have fully converted a 3178 with a cypress board. :D

darkcruix

28 Oct 2020, 08:38

Jesseg wrote:
darkcruix wrote:
Hi, if you find time, can you take pictures from the outside and inside and pass it on? Meanwhile I have a controller board picture already, but only the original one.
THANKS

Jesseg

28 Oct 2020, 08:47

darkcruix wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 08:38
Jesseg wrote:
darkcruix wrote:
Hi, if you find time, can you take pictures from the outside and inside and pass it on? Meanwhile I have a controller board picture already, but only the original one.
THANKS
Sure! Give me about 20 hours haha

shampoo

28 Oct 2020, 20:32

Hi

I just went through the manual that darkcruix wrote and it's quite comprehensive. Well done. I do have a few suggestions to make and I'd be more then willing to help write those sections if darkcruix feels it's important.

First, I think a "Quickstart" guide would be useful. When my F77 arrived, there were no keys. I ordered my keys from Unicomp. The barrel inserts were not installed. I did not know they had to be. So after installing the keys, I was wondering why some keys, (backspace, shift..) were binding unless I hit them in the middle of the key. A Quickstart guide would have helped there..

There is extensive content regarding how to install the keys and that is very useful. So I will skip that.

I am a Mac user. So the first thing I wanted to do was remap the keys. This turned out to be very tricky. A Quickstart guide for this would be great.. I am thinking a webpage that contains everything you need.. The files, software and links with documentation. All that info exists in this manual, but my request is to have it as a sort of HOWTO.

Next, if you screw up your firmware upload and "brick" your keyboard (not that I would know.. ;-) ) then what are the steps to taking apart your keyboard, finding the pads to jump, how to jump it and get back into the boot loader and then finally, how to button the keyboard back up.

J

darkcruix

28 Oct 2020, 23:19

shampoo wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 20:32
Hi

I just went through the manual that darkcruix wrote and it's quite comprehensive. Well done. I do have a few suggestions to make and I'd be more then willing to help write those sections if darkcruix feels it's important.

First, I think a "Quickstart" guide would be useful. When my F77 arrived, there were no keys. I ordered my keys from Unicomp. The barrel inserts were not installed. I did not know they had to be. So after installing the keys, I was wondering why some keys, (backspace, shift..) were binding unless I hit them in the middle of the key. A Quickstart guide would have helped there..

There is extensive content regarding how to install the keys and that is very useful. So I will skip that.

I am a Mac user. So the first thing I wanted to do was remap the keys. This turned out to be very tricky. A Quickstart guide for this would be great.. I am thinking a webpage that contains everything you need.. The files, software and links with documentation. All that info exists in this manual, but my request is to have it as a sort of HOWTO.

Next, if you screw up your firmware upload and "brick" your keyboard (not that I would know.. ;-) ) then what are the steps to taking apart your keyboard, finding the pads to jump, how to jump it and get back into the boot loader and then finally, how to button the keyboard back up.

J
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.
Quickstart for keys: I have buried the details too far back in the document. I do have the getting started part (Section 1) but have not mentioned the key installation there. I don't want to make this part too large, but definitely a few words about what to do after you have received the keyboard and how to add the inserts and keys is something I will add. With cross references to the later in-depth info.

Quickstart for the firmware is actually there - I explained for xwhatsit and QMK how to change the layout. Do you think it is not enough or too much as a start? This is section 3 Firmware Overview. I made screenshots on how to start with any of the two major configurations. While QMK is still a closed beta, I can't get into all details, yet, and have to wait until it goes "public". Let me know, what should be made clearer / earlier etc.?

Screwing up Firmware: That is in the works. Section 5 and Section 6 will contain this definitely. The pure hardware dis-assembly and re-assembly is nearly complete (as you mentioned, the same will follow for the firmware).

All comments are super important to make it a document that is really helpful and/or interesting for everyone in the community. So please, let me know what I can do additionally. I made notes in my task list to incorporate your suggestions. Once I have them included (or some of them), I will let this thread know and hopefully you can help me reviewing it.

Apart from the already existing subsections in the document (without content), I have a huge list of other items I want to bring in... just a little syllabus below ... I am a Mac user as well, so you might recognize the app:
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 23.16.44.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 23.16.44.jpg (438.78 KiB) Viewed 6416 times

shampoo

29 Oct 2020, 14:57

Section one of the manual assumes that you have all your keycaps installed. I guess that's a fair assumption ? Mine weren't.. But I asked for quicker shipping without the keycaps.. But maybe have a section that links to how to install keycaps and the barrel inserts in case their keyboard did not have them installed ?

In regards to firmware, you definitely discuss all the required aspects of updating firmware in your manual. My point really is that what a lot of people are looking for is a sort of HOWTO.. What are the steps do I have to take to change my firmware for my keyboard, without having to learn everything about boot loaders and the difference in firmware approaches. I think it's one of the more complicated aspects of owning this keyboard and it's also ripe for error. But it's also something people I am sure are going to want to do. I get my keyboard, I get the keys installed, it works.. but crap, I am French and my keys aren't laid out correctly.. Or I am a Mac user etc.. What are the steps I need to take to make those changes ? Something fast and easy without learning everything regarding boot loaders. Which isn't to say you need to change your manual.. Merely that it might be another document or a webpage that links to sections in your manual.

With all that said, man I wish I had read your manual before getting my keyboard. It would have helped me immensely.

So thanks for writing it !

J

darkcruix

31 Oct 2020, 23:58

Hi,

I have referenced in the "Getting Started" section your recommendations. Huge thanks again for the info. I hope it will help.
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 23.37.17.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 23.37.17.jpg (256.86 KiB) Viewed 6325 times
Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 23.46.33.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 23.46.33.jpg (252.27 KiB) Viewed 6325 times
I am working heavily on version 0.5.16 with a lot of updates but have some slow downs as I am also looking into a printed version in binder (how it was done originally by IBM but with some twist).
IMG_1078.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg (166.63 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

shampoo

01 Nov 2020, 11:00

That looks fantastic.

dcopellino

02 Nov 2020, 19:42

I would like to publicly thank darkcruix, not only for the magnificent work on the model F manual project, which he is carrying on tirelessly , but for his kind courtesy to send me the new pandrew model F controller free of charge, without even asking to cover the shipping costs, with the addition of the micropro too. I don't have the words to thank him and recognize his very high sense of belonging to this community made up of beautiful people like R. thank you so much.
Dario.

darkcruix

03 Nov 2020, 01:07

dcopellino wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 19:42
I would like to publicly thank darkcruix, not only for the magnificent work on the model F manual project, which he is carrying on tirelessly , but for his kind courtesy to send me the new pandrew model F controller free of charge, without even asking to cover the shipping costs, with the addition of the micropro too. I don't have the words to thank him and recognize his very high sense of belonging to this community made up of beautiful people like R. thank you so much.
Dario.
Oh thanks man ... a pleasure to be of help.

darkcruix

03 Nov 2020, 16:20

I've uploaded 0.5.16 today with many updates in section 4 (4.8ff) and corrections throughout.
https://www.bucklingspring.com/downloads/

The printout of the first 150 pages for the binder came out quite well, imho. More to come:
binder01.jpg
binder01.jpg (131.51 KiB) Viewed 6180 times

shampoo

04 Nov 2020, 15:43

Do you plan on selling copies of the binder when it's finished ?

darkcruix

04 Nov 2020, 15:56

I hope to be able to get it printed and packaged in a nice binder similar to the original IBM products. This all comes down to a reasonable price point.

shampoo

04 Nov 2020, 16:18

Excellent.. Is there a place we can register to be notified when it's ready ? I might forget to check here and I wouldn't want to miss out. Thanks.

Return to “Keyboards”