Looking for a 5-pin/PCB mount, hot-swap, TKL or full size keyboard

macmountaingoat

02 Sep 2020, 08:13

Hey everyone! I've been looking for a 5-pin/PCB mount, hot-swap, TKL or full size keyboard.

So far I have found:

-Womier K87 - TKL

-Keychron K8 - TKL

-Keychron K10 - Full-size (not sure when this will release)

-Mostergear Alu XO V2 - TKL (sold out)

Anyone know of any other options?

Thanks in advance!

gianni

02 Sep 2020, 12:33

Not 5 pin, but I recommend the gmmk keyboard since it's available in all variants and layouts.
I've used my two gmmk keyboards for years and I really like them. You can find it also on amazon.

Clipping the 2 extra pins is very fast and foolproof.

hellothere

03 Sep 2020, 21:06

Then they will design a better fool. :D

One of the reasons I haven't gone out and bought a GMMK is because of the compatibility. I don't like the idea of snipping plastic pins.

gianni

03 Sep 2020, 23:32

Start to like it then. It's a very simple job, nothing can go wrong. Just buy the right tool.

hellothere

05 Sep 2020, 00:32

gianni wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 23:32
Start to like it then. It's a very simple job, nothing can go wrong. Just buy the right tool.
No, I think of it more as, "Why buy a keyboard where you have to destroy switches to make them fit?"

If I had a bag full of your favorite switch that had chunks taken out of them and another bag that didn't, which one would you buy?

gianni

05 Sep 2020, 08:52

Nobody uses PCB mount switches. Why on earth do you try to enjoy things while thinking of not destroying or ruining them? Enjoy them while they last.

Rayndalf

05 Sep 2020, 14:28

gianni wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 08:52
Nobody uses PCB mount switches. Why on earth do you try to enjoy things while thinking of not destroying or ruining them? Enjoy them while they last.
What?
Any PCB that doesn't support 5 pin switches is just a poorly designed PCB. 5 pin switches are better for alignment in all boards, and a complete necessity for plateless builds.

It's fine if you don't mind the extra work, but that doesn't mean it isn't a design flaw.

gianni

05 Sep 2020, 15:26

Whatever, but buying switches with the idea of having to resell them, and that you can't mod them or maybe even not lubing them seems like living in constant sadness and frustration.

Return to “Keyboards”