ATARI XE Style Keyboard

gianlucarenzi

21 Sep 2020, 15:23

Hello,
I am designing a PCB with CherryMX Keyboard and I am stuck finding which company in China is able to customize keycaps (ABS, PBT) for small batch at reasonable startup prices.
In attachment there are two layouts: one for Atari XE Line and the other suitable for Atari 800 and XL line.
The PCB are pretty straightforward so they are 3 (one for each line-of-computer XE, XL, and 800).
The boards can be used as direct drop-in-replacement for existing Atari Computers (the function keys in real Ataris XE and XL must be reused with a simple adapter) or the keyboard can be used as USB keyboard in PC or FPGA System solutions.

The json files in attachment can be seen uploading them into the following web site:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com
Attachments
atari-keyboards-style-json.zip
Uncompress and upload to http://www.keyboard-leayout-editor.com
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

dcopellino

21 Sep 2020, 15:49

Wow, I love Atari enthus...I can't help you on such inquires but your post made me dream ...
Still in time, though
Attachments
Screenshot_20200921_154541.jpg
Screenshot_20200921_154541.jpg (264.43 KiB) Viewed 1334 times

Findecanor

21 Sep 2020, 16:19

Cool! Be careful to do precise measurements. I once considered designing a keyboard with support for the Atari ST's layout, but did some measurements and noticed that the spaces between key groups were not simple fraction of a key size (1/2, 1/4, etc).

I think most of the cheaper manufacturers may print anything, but will only provide shapes for the US-ANSI Windows keyboard layout, perhaps with some variations.
If the 2.75u right Shift is supported, you could possibly adapt such a kit to the XE, ... if you would move the Return key down, and the * down to the bottom or something.
One option I had considered was to support a split of the 9-unit space bar also into 2.75 + 6.25, making the left side into an additional Backspace key. (or configurable with jumpers)

As to those keycap manufacturers that cater to the enthusiast market, for high prices:
1.25u Caps key are found in some keycap kits for "40%" keyboards.
The Atari XL's 2u Control key, 2.5u Shift key and 1.25u Esc key are more unusual though.

gianlucarenzi

23 Oct 2020, 09:45

Are you sure about 2.5u shift key? I think in ATARI XL Keyboard: the LEFT SHIFT is 2.25u and RIGHT SHIFT is 2.0, as well as the CONTROL is 2.0U , ESC 1.25U, RETURN 1.75U and CAPS LOWR 1.25U. Lateral metallic function keys are sized as 1U

In the ATARI 800 ESC is 1U, RETURN is 1.5U CONTROL is 1.5U, LSHIFT is 1.75U as well as the RSHIFT. The lateral function keys are 1.50U or 1.25U (I do not know)...

Can you confirm that?

Return to “Keyboards”