NEC DT-KCD2000C Type A

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

19 Oct 2020, 08:36

Long time (no post)!
I'm still around, and still gathering keyboards :mrgreen:
Sadly life has made it more difficult to actually photograph and measure force curves...

Anyways, I have something special that just arrived from Japan.
An NEC DT-KCD2000C Type A keyboard. I'm not entirely sure what system it was used on.

ImageDSC01015
Quite a bit of yellowing...
Fortunately the keyboard came surprisingly clean, so it lived in a pretty nice environment (though I did end up finding a small bit of rust on the springs so probably a humid environment too...).

ImageDSC01023
All the keycaps are engraved then infilled. Normally keycaps like this are super gross when I get them, but with this board all I had to do was give them a quick wipe to get small bit of dust off.

ImageDSC01024
ImageDSC01030
Mysterious red line.

ImageDSC01051
That's a release button for the connector.

ImageDSC01054
The latch from the release button.

ImageDSC01070

ImageDSC01073
July 1975. If I'm reading that correctly, the serial number is 15!?

ImageDSC01084
Are those Alps Magnetic Reed Switches!? (wiki/Alps_Magnetic_Reed)
Only the rarest switch I know of (besides mercury filled tube switches of course, because those all had to be disposed of due to fear of mercury poisoning leaking out of the rubber tubes... :shock: ).

ImageDSC01090

ImageDSC01075

ImageDSC01077 by
Interesting, the keycap mounting has an additional metal piece to hold the keycap in place (the caps are hard to pull off...). For reference https://flic.kr/p/fSWYGb

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jWusqV]Image
DSC01095
ImageDSC01104
Inside sticker (same serial number and date code).

ImageDSC01108
I believe (not confirmed yet) that the top right section is a resistor matrix that defines how each of the keys are mapped.
ImageDSC01167

ImageDSC01186
Interesting looking diodes and resistors.

ImageDSC01201
Alps sticker (interestingly enough, the pcbs were done by NEC which is unusual for Alps keyboards of this era).

ImageDSC01193

ImageDSC01199

ImageDSC01205
Each row is numbered (not your standard switch plate).

ImageDSC01218
Wait just one second! That's a magnetic reed switch...but it's not the same one?!
So now there are two unicorn Alps Magnetic Reed switches...and I have both of them :twisted:

ImageDSC01232
The reed seems to be attached to a mini pcb of sorts.
ImageDSC01258
ImageDSC01265
This mini pcb does make the pins quite a bit easier to solder/desolder.

ImageDSC01256
This new variant of the Alps Magnetic Reed Switch also doesn't have an integrated diode (reference https://flic.kr/p/fSXWM7). And also doesn't have an option for a 2nd magnetic reed (instead of the diode).

ImageDSC01270
ImageDSC01275
ImageDSC01278
The spacebar switch is heavier than all the other switches. Unfortunately I wasn't able to safely open the switch as the top housing is an extremely tight fit (might as well be a plastic weld). The first switch came apart by accident when I was pulling off a keycap at an angle.

ImageDSC01301

These switches can be opened without desoldered, but I don't really see the point unless you're trying to clean out the switch or swap out the spring. From my experience with reed switches, is that the reeds are the most fragile part of the switch and they are soldered in... (and tbh, I haven't seen that many failed reed switches).

Full album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmRzhC6r

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

19 Oct 2020, 09:02

Absolutely stunning! The red backplate, the internals with resistor matrix, and the keycaps with metal inserts. What a gem.

Rayndalf

19 Oct 2020, 10:48

The ridging on the plate and the metal case must make for an extremely sturdy piece. How do you go about finding things like this?

zrrion

19 Oct 2020, 15:39

This is a looker for sure, and with a cool alps switch to boot. What a find.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

20 Oct 2020, 01:08

Rayndalf wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 10:48
How do you go about finding things like this?
Patience :lol: (the previous one I found in 2012).

Rayndalf

20 Oct 2020, 02:33

So stuff like this still shows up on Yahoo auctions and other Japanese auction sites?

I'm still shocked Beamsprings are an arm and a leg but beauties like this is so rare they don't even have a market price

JP!

20 Oct 2020, 04:26

Nice find. Interesting switches and truly a work of art.

Yasu0

21 Oct 2020, 23:30

The way the window light reflects off those infill caps.. visual ASMR.

Return to “Keyboards”